Kaibab Archery Tag

TBarron

WKR
I hate to jinx it but I just saw a CC charge hit today. Anyone else getting hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
December coues or kiabab rifle for my dad or wife

Bughalli

WKR
I hate to jinx it but I just saw a CC charge hit today. Anyone else getting hit?

I didn't think a Kaibab archery tag was hard to draw. I hunted there about 8 years ago with no points. Tough hunt for me. Figured I would go back when I could hunt the full season and really try to figure it out. You might get the option of buying a Buffalo tag as well. Lots of Buffalo there. Good luck!

Maverick940

Banned
So far, a Coues whitetail permit and a mule deer permit. Might pull a couple more tags over the weekend.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
I didn't think a Kaibab archery tag was hard to draw. I hunted there about 8 years ago with no points. Tough hunt for me. Figured I would go back when I could hunt the full season and really try to figure it out. You might get the option of buying a Buffalo tag as well. Lots of Buffalo there. Good luck!

I'm a non-res with no pts so I was pretty surprised. I was reading on go hunt and it said it usually takes about 8 pts to pull one usually, but looks like there's a pretty good amt of tags issued so not extremely hard but still pretty damn lucky with no pts. I had already planned on OTC again and put in just as a long shot. Haven't heard anything about a buffalo tag! Gotta look into that.

I'm a non-res with no pts so I was pretty surprised. I was reading on go hunt and it said it usually takes about 8 pts to pull one usually, but looks like there's a pretty good amt of tags issued so not extremely hard but still pretty damn lucky with no pts. I had already planned on OTC again and put in just as a long shot. Haven't heard anything about a buffalo tag! Gotta look into that.

Have to draw a buffalo tag. And ya kiabab archery is very easy to draw. You will see quite a few ppl there to say the least. There are literally Nres hunters who put on full camo to ride in the back of a truck and jump out and shoot! That hunt is ridiculous. So many knuckle heads put in for that hunt that it hurts the people actually trying. Best advice is ho where no one else is. And far off a rd. UTV's everywhere.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
Thanks for the heads up looks like I'll just need to go deep. No prob doing that. Outside of having lots of people how's the deer numbers? I've OTC hunted there around Seligman and was surprised how little deer we saw. Only saw one shooter all week and they were all super spooky.

Pretty much everything above the rim are migration units. There are a ton of deer. You can see anywhere from 20-100 a day no joke. But alot of the bigger deer that the area is know for move in once cold weather and snow roll in. On the archery hunt we were still seeing a buck or two in the 170-190" mark. All depends on how hard you work really. Ive also seen 200"+ deer on that hunt but once the ppl arrive you have to really hunt your ass off to turn one up or just get incredibly lucky.

A 170-190" buck or two every couple days i mean not on the whole hunt.

OP
TBarron

TBarron

WKR
That's great to hear. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to get in on some good action and have some quality stalks. Any old mature buck taken with a bow is a trophy in my mind, so Im not going in with the expectation of killing 200"+ buck. Im in it more for the experience than the trophy.

Sucks that the road hunters and knuckleheads are ruining it for everyone else. Are there areas away from road access that you can hike and camp to get away from the crowds?

That's great to hear. Sounds exactly what I'm looking for. I just want to get in on some good action and have some quality stalks. Any old mature buck taken with a bow is a trophy in my mind, so Im not going in with the expectation of killing 200"+ buck. Im in it more for the experience than the trophy.

Sucks that the road hunters and knuckleheads are ruining it for everyone else. Are there areas away from road access that you can hike and camp to get away from the crowds?

Yes there is. Just do your scouting man. Google maps is awesome

Camofreak

FNG
Got either a strip or kaibab rifle tag this year, love hunting the bab some of my greatest memories are from up there. Lots of deer if you know where to look and put some time in.

R_burg

WKR
Looks like I drew the Kaibab archery tag as well. Congrats OP.

I'm a resident but unfortunately just started a new job so I don't have time to go up there and scout much before the season. Thanks for the tips posted in here guys, any additional info would be great.

lilharcher

Lil-Rokslider
The years I hunted the bab, water was scarce, so travel corridors to/from water was key.......finding those isolated tanks is tough, but may heavily pay off.