First Time - WYO Area G

Hi team,

I was lucky in the draw this year and picked up an Area G deer tag. I hunted mule deer in Colorado last year and loved the hunt so decided to try my luck in Wyoming. I'm travelling over from New Zealand and have about 10 days to hunt from 1st September onwards. The plan is backpack hunt and camp where ever I end up.

I've picked apart a few spots on google earth and have a good idea where I'll hunt, and have a couple of back up plans. The country looks unreal and really excited about exploring some new mule deer country.

I would like to know about hunting pressure in the early season. Is there any areas that I should not go due to hunting pressure, like off Greys River Rd etc? Can I expect to see large numbers of archery hunters about in the backcountry during this period?

Also, is it a bad idea to camp near the small alpine lakes? Or are the high alpine lakes a regular watering spot for deer?

Congrats on the draw. I am going to start by saying that google earth can be very deceiving in that country. What you think may be a passable "hill" will be your chamois territory that you will have a heck of a time getting too. Last year I had a buck sit in the only set of trees on a shale mountain. I joke but in order to get to him I would have changed my underwear three times. Camp away from water. You can always walk to water. Remember water is one of the essentials animals need to survive. You there may bother that. I recommend not camping next to water. Sorry end of rant. Get up high but do not skyline yourself. Those deer are smart and know what is up. Now my second comment, this year was a heck of a winter kill. That area (don't quote my numbers) had around a 60% fawn death rate and like a 35% mature adult death rate. That will be a little discouraging for this fall. There will still be deer but don't get frustrated if they are not in every bowl/drainage.

I'm not trying to be rude but I have to disagree with about everything posted above.

I had a nice conversation with both the regions biologist and game warden just last night. According to the 2017 mortality study, the Wyoming range lost 99% of last years fawns. The 2017 survival rate on adult deer was 75%, compared to our normal average of 92%. All the adult mortality was individuals over the age of 6, with the vast majority of those deer being female.
With that said this years hunters will see very little change in the size and quantity of mature bucks. (In 3-5 years this will be a different story)
Camping by lakes is usually not a big deal as far as disturbing animals, but the big problem is that you'll typically still be 1-3k feet from the ridges you'll need to be using to access drainages, glass from, and even initiate stalks from. You mentioned you'll be here early September which I assume means you'll be archery hunting? During this time of year the majority of big bucks will be up high at the heads of basins where the trees are in pockets and more spread out (i.e. More open country). There's still plenty of snow up high but we're seeing good numbers of deer and some very nice bucks. PM or email me [email protected] if you need more info or help. I live in the heart of G and spend lots of time watching, learning, and chasing these deer.
Cheers and congrats on the tag!

OP
K
Congrats on the draw. I am going to start by saying that google earth can be very deceiving in that country. What you think may be a passable "hill" will be your chamois territory that you will have a heck of a time getting too. Last year I had a buck sit in the only set of trees on a shale mountain. I joke but in order to get to him I would have changed my underwear three times. Camp away from water. You can always walk to water. Remember water is one of the essentials animals need to survive. You there may bother that. I recommend not camping next to water. Sorry end of rant. Get up high but do not skyline yourself. Those deer are smart and know what is up. Now my second comment, this year was a heck of a winter kill. That area (don't quote my numbers) had around a 60% fawn death rate and like a 35% mature adult death rate. That will be a little discouraging for this fall. There will still be deer but don't get frustrated if they are not in every bowl/drainage.

Thanks that's a good point about under estimating the mountain and distance on google earth, I've been caught out before!
Ok I'll look to keep my camp a moderate distance away from water, there doesn't seem to be that much about so I think my hunt will be based around access to water.

OP
K
I'm not trying to be rude but I have to disagree with about everything posted above.

I had a nice conversation with both the regions biologist and game warden just last night. According to the 2017 mortality study, the Wyoming range lost 99% of last years fawns. The 2017 survival rate on adult deer was 75%, compared to our normal average of 92%. All the adult mortality was individuals over the age of 6, with the vast majority of those deer being female.
With that said this years hunters will see very little change in the size and quantity of mature bucks. (In 3-5 years this will be a different story)
Camping by lakes is usually not a big deal as far as disturbing animals, but the big problem is that you'll typically still be 1-3k feet from the ridges you'll need to be using to access drainages, glass from, and even initiate stalks from. You mentioned you'll be here early September which I assume means you'll be archery hunting? During this time of year the majority of big bucks will be up high at the heads of basins where the trees are in pockets and more spread out (i.e. More open country). There's still plenty of snow up high but we're seeing good numbers of deer and some very nice bucks. PM or email me [email protected] if you need more info or help. I live in the heart of G and spend lots of time watching, learning, and chasing these deer.
Cheers and congrats on the tag!

That was my plan for applying for this tag - only young deer would die off and mature bucks would be still kicking around, its good to have you confirm this strategy. Yep I'll be archery hunting - thanks for the info on hunting high from ridges etc, its all new country for me so the whole thing will be a big learning experience and a buck will be a bonus!

Really appreciate the information you shared and email - I'll defiantly touch base via email. Thanks mate.

WKR
I'll be hunting deer and elk in H during the first week of September. If I hear someone who talks funny, I'll be sure to say hi. :)

tkjwonta

FNG
Good luck on your hunt, our group is headed to region G for the first time as well. Sorry I don't have much specific info on the area. In other areas I've hunted early season mule deer, lakes are popular with other recreationalists (hikers, fishermen, etc.). So I don't think the deer will be bothered by seeing people at the lakes, but you may have more human company there too.

Have a great time and let me know if you have any other questions.

OP
K
Good luck on your hunt, our group is headed to region G for the first time as well. Sorry I don't have much specific info on the area. In other areas I've hunted early season mule deer, lakes are popular with other recreationalists (hikers, fishermen, etc.). So I don't think the deer will be bothered by seeing people at the lakes, but you may have more human company there too.

Have a great time and let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks mate, will do. Good luck on your hunt, hopefully I'll run into you somewhere in the backcountry up there!

Kiwi

FNG
I don't think you'll see many other hunters during early Sept. In fact I wouldnt be surprised if you didn't see any other hunters at all if your back off the roads a few miles. Would be interested to hear others thoughts on hunter numbers during early sept. My experience is based on Area H.

wyo2track

Lil-Rokslider
It could depend on where you decide to go hunt. Modern archery equipment and the internet/TV videos of Region G has made archery hunting the region much much more popular than it once was. You'll probably see more traffic on the weekends, which there are only 2 this year. Just remember, this year the rifle opener is on a Friday. I would expect that around the week of the 11th, your going to start seeing a migration of hunters into the area, setting up high mountain camps and getting in those last few days of scouting prior to Friday the 15th....lol. If you stick with the first 10 days of September, you'll probably have a little space mid week. There are bucks up there in most basins. Good luck with your hunt!