Idaho Unit 39 Early Season Rifle

I drew the early season controlled hunt in unit 39. I've never hunted this unit before but very much looking forward to it. I stepped foot in the unit last weekend for the first time and found a few smaller 4 points but nothing with that wow factor yet. Seems like there's dirt bike trails everywhere! I don't have a dirt bike or horses though so the plan is to backpack in and bivy camp up high the first week of September. Any past tag holders that care to share their experience with the tag, either good or bad?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never had that tag, but I know the area a bit and have hunted the general rifle season up there. I'm guessing your biggest competition at that time of year will be those mountain bikers and ATV'ers... which might not be all bad, since they are likely to stick to the trail and not wander into the draws or climb to a ridge line 'just because'.

Good luck!

+1. I have also hunted it later and been around the unit. The usual plan of attack is go high at that time of year. Many have said that they can be up in the rocks even and when you see one it's kinda rare but it's a good one.

I think there should be trails towards Atlanta that should be pretty empty. Get off roads and trails like you say. Use Google Maps and measure distances. There is a lot of country that's not roadless and trailless.

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Water should be a big consideration in that unit. Not a lot of water up high so do your research or be prepared to hit creek bottoms to get some. x2 on deer numbers, not alot but if you do find should be a few good ones. Mark the hot springs in the areas, those are great to hit when you want a day off. I would consider getting a bike, even an old honda 50. Being mobile and flexible is better than sticking to an area that may not hold much if conditions change or they move. Get in great shape and have fun.

OP
MuleDeerMike
I immediately noticed the lack of water when I was there. I'm going to try to use that to my advantage.

muleymemories

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck and try to do some scouting if you can. The earlier the better on finding a big buck. Once the velvet leaves those buggers get harder to find.

OP
MuleDeerMike
Good luck and try to do some scouting if you can. The earlier the better on finding a big buck. Once the velvet leaves those buggers get harder to find.
I'm going to try to get over again before the season so we'll see. I'm hoping the bucks are still around come August 31st.

WARDEN689

FNG
I drew the early season controlled hunt in unit 39. I've never hunted this unit before but very much looking forward to it. I stepped foot in the unit last weekend for the first time and found a few smaller 4 points but nothing with that wow factor yet. Seems like there's dirt bike trails everywhere! I don't have a dirt bike or horses though so the plan is to backpack in and bivy camp up high the first week of September. Any past tag holders that care to share their experience with the tag, either good or bad?

Fortunate enough to draw this tag for 2021. Been scouting a bit and have located some deer super high, cannot wait. Mike were you able to kill a deer on that tag? What time frame did you hunt? Hoping to spend the last week of August out there.

OP
MuleDeerMike
Fortunate enough to draw this tag for 2021. Been scouting a bit and have located some deer super high, cannot wait. Mike were you able to kill a deer on that tag? What time frame did you hunt? Hoping to spend the last week of August out there.
Unless you're literally getting married or attending a close relatives funeral, I would do whatever it takes to be out there hunting when it opens on August 15th. Earlier the better.

WARDEN689

FNG
Unless you're literally getting married or attending a close relatives funeral, I would do whatever it takes to be out there hunting when it opens on August 15th. Earlier the better.
Yup good point, I wish I could. In the military and I have mandatory training out of state the middle two weeks of August. The day I get back I am heading to the high country to see what I can do for a week. Thank you for your insight Mike.