2017 Best Mule Deer Buck Photo Contest, sponsored by Kryptek

Status
Not open for further replies.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
attachment.php

Last year's contest was a huge draw for mule deer hunters and one lucky winner landed some cool Kryptek clothing.

Just got the OK from Kryptek that we're on again for 2017, this time for some great gear from the new Kryptek Altitude Line.

First the rules for posting a qualified 2017 harvest photo:

This is NOT a biggest buck contest, but a "best photo" contest. The winning 2017 photo will be judged on the following criteria and rules:

1) WOW Factor. Is it a great photo that grabs the viewer? This takes in lighting, color, uniqueness, etc.

2) Composition- by that I mean the way in which the different parts that make up your photo are arranged- is there too much background, not enough animal? or visa versa? Are the antler tips out of the frame or the hunters head cut off? Or is it a good balance between the buck, the hunter, the terrain? (the hunter is not required to appear in the photo.)

3) Size of animal. This doesn't mean biggest animal wins, but if #1 and #2 are equal, we'll chose the bigger animal.

4) Must be a photo of a buck harvested in 2017

5)Between archery season and December 10th, post up your best 2017 harvest photo on this thread

6) One photo per buck only. If you harvest multiple bucks, you can enter one photo for each

7) Also, by posting on this thread, you agree to let Rokslide and Kryptek use any of the photos in promotional material without compensation

8) Any international winner is responsible for border tax, custom fees, excessive postage fees, etc.

As I said last year, I'm including Rokslide members for the judging portion of this contest. Once we close the contest to entries, I'll have members vote on all the photos to narrow down it down to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place. I'll probably just run a poll and people can vote on post #. I need a little flexibility on this part as I'm not yet sure how to do it, but I do guarantee you guys will have a vote in this.

Now the best part, here's the Kryptek Altitude clothing for 1st place:

Tora 1/4 Zip Shirt
attachment.php

Tora Pant
attachment.php

Altitude Gloves

and Altitude Ball Cap
attachment.php

This is over $600 bucks in Kryptek Clothing, and in one of the newest most innovative fabrics, so well worth your time to take and post a great photo

You can check out the Kryptek store for more info on other great products: Kryptek Store

We'll also be offering for 2nd place, the ever popular Rokslide Kill Kit

and for 3rd place, a signed copy of my book
attachment.php

Hunting Big Mule Deer: How to Take the Best Buck of Your Life

Be sure and subscribe at "Thread Tools", top of this post so you don't miss some great photography and winner announcements in December

Last edited:

twall13

WKR
I love these threads. Even if I don't have an entry it's fun to see all the awesome bucks and photos posted.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Rocky

WKR
Everything came together like a puzzle and I filled my deer tag on opening morning. I located the buck two days before the season opened and took photos and video of him. I was able to find him on opening morning and took more photos and video of him prior to a successful stalk. My archery tag that took me five years to draw was filled by 8:05 on opening morning! This was my first mulie buck and I could not be happier with him.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Rocky blows the thread up. Nice buck. Love the good velvet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trial153

WKR
Since it's a 2017 buck I guess I need to post it. New Mexico archery January 4, 2017

a24d5539c459f9883745b7a106672edb.jpg

Rocky

WKR
View attachment 56049
Not sure what happened to my larger photo

Everything came together like a puzzle and I filled my deer tag on opening morning. I located the buck two days before the season opened and took photos and video of him. I was able to find him on opening morning and took more photos and video of him prior to a successful stalk. My archery tag that took me five years to draw was filled by 8:05 on opening morning! This was my first mulie buck and I could not be happier with him.

Btaylor

WKR
you got hosed by photobucket. Look in the Gen discussion thread, SHTF has a thread up (two actually) about using another photo service. We gotta have your photo up for it to count. Sorry for the PIA

Suspended indefinitely for PED...photobucket erased deer

Rocky

WKR

Thanks for the article SHTF !

MYZzkPm.jpg

IMG_20170826_194750043.jpg
[/url]

I know this isn't a contest winning photo but I thought I would post it here.

Opening day, 7:00pm in Colorado. This is my first ever archery deer.

I was sitting next to an isolated clump of trees, glassing a large meadow when I looked over and saw this buck and two of his younger buddies feeding right at me about 80 yards away. The two smaller bucks we're getting way too close and I feared they were going to bust me. Eventually, my buck took the last few steps to give me a good shot. Unable to range him I guessed him at 30 yards and watched my arrow disappear right behind his shoulder, exiting in front of the far side thigh. I had thought he was perfectly broadside but he was quartering some. With some encouragement from another buck he made it back to the timber. I gave him half an hour before I found my arrow and tracked him all of 100 yards from the last place I saw him. I knew he was a good buck but I was absolutely stoked when I got my hands on him.

Better lucky than good!

Last edited:

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
While I am not eligable for the contest, I thought I would at least contribute to the thread!

TBarron

WKR
d16a50a568eb44b0da79bb7d3d756cfd.jpg

I didn't get into bow hunting until only 5 years ago and just recently started hunting out of state (I'm from Texas). This year I was lucky enough to draw an early archery Kaibab tag and had 3 first for me this deer. First mule deer, first mule deer with bow, and first deer in velvet. Hunted hard for 7 straight days and it finally came together at 50yds over a waterhole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hersh2209

Lil-Rokslider
Got lucky sunday midday on this buck. Id watched him all summer within a square half mile. glassed him go into a small aspen patch at 9:30 about a half mile away. Took me 2 hours to sneak in close. luckily the wind was constant and helped cover my sound.. I kept telling myself some of Robbys advice when you think you're going slow enough slow down!!. I saw him feeding at 40 yards broadside above me..my smokepole did the job quick. He ran only 30 yards

Attachments

• Screenshot_2017-09-12-21-03-38.jpg
    Screenshot_2017-09-12-21-03-38.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 403
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.