Anyone here hunting d5 or d6?

chriso

FNG
I've been hunting D5 my whole life and have pretty good success, I've also had an excellent teacher (pops). I'm new to the backpack hunting as in multiple day trips. I've always hunted out of a camp but usually just loaded a day pack and returned. I'm wanting to get into higher/more desolate country/longer trips. I'm planning on hitting it hard this year. I do most of my hunting solo these days but wouldn't be opposed in finding a hunting partner to do some backpack trips with. I'm going to do a scouting trip next weekend for archery season, any tips on areas to backpack hunt in d5? As long as I'm seeing beautiful country I'm happy, packing a deer out makes me happier but by no means do I expect someone to give me their honey hole. I spend most of my time up hwy 4 around 6k-9k elevation...arnold/camp connel up to highlands/spicers etc. Not super familiar with the hwy 88 side. I've also got a d6 tag this year, never made my way into D6.

brn2hnt

WKR
Lots of country up hwy 4 that is backpackable. It you made it to highlands you've driven past plenty of spots. Can't help much on D6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
Hunting used to be good on the 88 side but not so much anymore. It's one of the most beautiful spots in the west to hunt but notching a tag at high elevation is not a given lately. Pick a good looking area, drive to the end of the road, hike uphill, enjoy.

OP
C

chriso

FNG
I'm pretty familiar with why 4 side considering I grew up exploring those woods. Beautiful country. Deer season I usually start pretty high on up because of weather etc seems that they are up high in my experience early in the season migration n all... well if anyone wants to go on a scouting trip they are more than welcome to tag along.

Last edited:

KClark

WKR
It seems like deer between the Mokelumne and Consumnes don't migrate anymore. In the old days, about November 10th our ranch at 2,000ft filled up with migratory deer from the high country. Nowadays it seems like all the deer live in subdivisions year round munchin' on flowers and hand outs.

OP
C

chriso

FNG
While I agree for the most part, with good weather we still get migratory deer coming through our property in sheep ranch. With a good storm they migrate down through our property in big groups, if this happens you can pick your buck... I just don't think we typically get good enough weather to get em moving during season and they hold up in the high country as long as they can (the big ones). Don't get me wrong, plenty of local deer now a days and plenty of deer stay where they end up as it's just easier. I remember as a kid seeing far more migratory deer, waking up in deer camp and seeing a huge herd walking basically through camp with the big bucks tailing and zig zagging through... the good days.

desertcj

WKR
I've hunted D6 a bit. Saw some deer, no bucks. I did see a Mt Lion attack and kill a deer 30yds in front of me! That was exciting armed only with a bow and a knife....lol

OP
C

chriso

FNG
That's something to see... I carry a snubbie with me when I'm out bowhunting a little ruger LCR... 38spl isn't much but ill stick it in a cats ear and pull the trigger until it goes click if I have to lol it's mostly snake medicine but it's so light I don't really notice it.

Last edited:
That's something to see... I carry a snubbie with me when I'm out bowhunting a little ruger LCR... 38spl isn't much but ill stick it in a cats ear and pull the trigger until it goes clock if I have to lol it's mostly snake medicine but it's so light I don't really notice it.

No Comment

KClark

WKR
The cat population has risen to ridiculous numbers around my AO at 2,000ft. Neighboring ranches are unable to raise goats or sheep without 24 hr watch. Closer in by town the situation is better but out here in the sticks the deer herd has a hard time seeing bucks to maturity. Bulletin boards at the local feed/hardware stores are covered with missing dog and cat flyers, sad but rover didn't run away and kitty ain't coming home.

OP
C

chriso

FNG
Then why comment? What are you concerned about? I'm a Deputy Sheriff, I'm exempt. I carry when I bow hunt... I carry everywhere, bottom line.

LionHead

WKR
I've hunted D6 the last three years. Youve already been to highland just go over behind Hiram toward lighting peak and your in. D6 backyard . I've hunted that area twice so far. Packing in keeps me outta the day hunt crowds usually off Clark's fork.

LionHead

WKR
I literally learned how to hunt from Rokslide so I usually like to stay high up and live out of a bag using distance to my advantage.
It seems like the lower forest is so thick you have to still hunt.

I've seen deer in scouting session in the emigrant wilderness, up eagle pass, St Mary's pass(amazing open terrain but too accessable and gets crowded). The Sonora pass but make sure your on the west of the Sierra crest. All the low elevation areas are too hard to glass distance or it's on private land .

LionHead

WKR
I've hunted D6 a bit. Saw some deer, no bucks. I did see a Mt Lion attack and kill a deer 30yds in front of me! That was exciting armed only with a bow and a knife....lol

Still haven't seen a cat yet. Sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time. Wish we could thing out the kitties up here. Even tho I haven't seen one I've seen the aftermath. We need to improve our bucks chances 😀

desertcj

WKR
Still haven't seen a cat yet. Sounds awesome and terrifying at the same time. Wish we could thing out the kitties up here. Even tho I haven't seen one I've seen the aftermath. We need to improve our bucks chances 😀

Well you are right in the area. This happened right next to the Dardenelles.

bowuntr

WKR
Then why comment? What are you concerned about? I'm a Deputy Sheriff, I'm exempt. I carry when I bow hunt... I carry everywhere, bottom line.

I'm pretty sure he's concerned about it being illegal to carry a firearm when you're bowhunting in California. You didn't say you were exempt in your first post... I had the same concern. Ed F

LionHead

WKR
I'm pretty sure he's concerned about it being illegal to carry a firearm when you're bowhunting in California.

I've never fully agreed with this in CA bowhunt season. I understand the rational but I don't agree. I carry everyday on the job or off duty, in the city or in the mountains, the biggest reason is tweaker defense. I've encountered a staggering number of methed out mountain folk, generally near the forest roads but even up to a mile in from the TH. The last time was near grouse lake about 3 miles in from Crabtree. I'm somewhat surprised my vehicle hasn't been ransacked when I park near easy access roads.

KClark

WKR
A friend of mine killed this buck here in D5 in 2013 about 4 miles from my house, he's a dandy. IIRC he's about 30" wide, wish I had better photos.

JLyV0qs.jpg

vCWT8ih.jpg