Please help my scatter brain....

I'm going to start this post with saying I am very blessed to have this problem I'm about to explain.
I'm just hoping someone with mule deer experience can put this into a good perspective for me.

I am an avid elk and whitetail hunter, but I'm as green as can be when it comes to mule deer hunting.

This year I've been given access to a 45K acres ranch in NM to hunt mule deer.
There is maybe ONE deer taken annually....MAYBE one....
Needless to say there are probably some fine bucks roaming around.

I've got about 7-9 days of scouting this year, I've got time to hunt through the entire hunt (5 days), but I'm hoping someone could realign my priorities.
Sounds silly that I need someone else to do that, but this is where I want to hear something from the experienced guys... not the people who are trying to give me pointers.

The common thing I'm being told is "hold out for a 180+" & "shoot a monster".
Ok, sounds fine and dandy, but I've never shot a mule deer.

I think a lot of guys don't realize that.

So what I'm asking.... to the experienced guys..... is to go back to the beginning of your mule hunting career, knowing what you know now, and tell me what you'd do on this hunt?

My personal plan right now is to find something unique or old.
I know someone is going to say shoot what makes you happy, so that is probably my definition of what would make me happy....unique......or old.

At the end of the day I am trying to have fun so I can catch this mule deer sickness that most of you have, but I'm not gonna lie, with all these people talking up the opportunity that I have I'm almost putting an unnecessary pressure on myself to meet their expectation... what if I never get this opportunity again.

Any and all input is welcomed! Thanks for the help!

I dont want to sound generic but you already answered your question when you said shoot what makes you happy. You could be hunting the Jicarilla or the Strip and not see a 180" buck. Its hunting, crap happens. You said you want to have fun. Trying to meet some expectations that others set for you is not fun.

My very first mule deer hunt was in the Alberta plains. Look up what comes out of there. I had a 200" buck in bow range. In the end I killed a 150ish deer and I was happy as can be. Still no regrets on that one and great memories.

Hunt for yourself. I drew a unit 8 muley tag in NM the first time I applied and had a forkie walk by at 30 yards on day 4. With a freezer full of elk, I passed, holding out for something bigger. That evening I met a guy hunting from the same trailhead who said the big deer were 'over there,' but he wasn't going to climb up there. I went 'over there' skeptical, but had 4 bruisers on the ridge across from me just out of my range the next morning. I chased them for the next 9 days and had a blast.

I've never killed a mule deer, but don't lament not taking that forkie on day 4 because I had a lot of fun and learned a lot over the rest of the hunt.

tttoadman

WKR
You will likely have some great bucks to look at. Have fun for at least 3 days and see what's in the area. Don't give up on a group if you don't find the big buck right away. He is there somewhere. Part of the fun is finding him.

muddydogs

WKR
So you are hunting on 45000 acres with no hunting pressure for 5 days in NM mule deer country? Most of us dream of a chance like this and if we ever got it it would be a once in a life time hunt. Heck ya I would shop around and try and find a very nice buck for the first 3 or 4 days, if its good country it probably won't be a problem shooting any old buck the last day or so and after some scouting and the first few days of the season you should figure out just how big the deer are and adjust your expectations from there.

As for never hunting mule deer well your a hunter and the basics are still the same no matter what you hunt.

bohntr

WKR
Hike or drive (depending on layout of ranch) to some high spots where you can look over a lot of country and deer with quality glass. This should give you an honest idea of what's there and how to navigate the country to set-up for your shot. Depending on the ranch, it could be loaded with deer or limited in quantity........all of this will factor into your hunting approach and selection process. Hopefully you'll get to see both; an old unique type buck.........but a 5.5 years old 185" buck is no slouch either. :)

Trophy hunting is popular these days but I prefer to take a smaller deer rather than let them all walk until I find a big one. I like meat in the freezer and don't count inches. That doesn't mean I knock out the first small forkie. Let the numbers you're seeing guide you and don't pass too much.

OP
Lostinthewoods
So you are hunting on 45000 acres with no hunting pressure for 5 days in NM mule deer country? Most of us dream of a chance like this and if we ever got it it would be a once in a life time hunt. Heck ya I would shop around and try and find a very nice buck for the first 3 or 4 days, if its good country it probably won't be a problem shooting any old buck the last day or so and after some scouting and the first few days of the season you should figure out just how big the deer are and adjust your expectations from there.

As for never hunting mule deer well your a hunter and the basics are still the same no matter what you hunt.

I'm not so much worried about the hunting part, it's more the whole experience.
It's a first mule deer hunt, certainly a once in a life time opportunity, and I know there are big deer! It's hard to find that realistic balance haha
I'll hold out though. With the scout time I should have a great idea of what's running around. Then I can spend some time in my glass once the hunt starts and try to get into them!

Trophy hunting is popular these days but I prefer to take a smaller deer rather than let them all walk until I find a big one. I like meat in the freezer and don't count inches. That doesn't mean I knock out the first small forkie. Let the numbers you're seeing guide you and don't pass too much.

I like the last part you mentioned. Letting the numbers guide me.... great advice. Thank you!
I'll get a good idea of what's running around with scouting and glassing. Maybe he will be nice enough to let me put some cameras on water, just to see what's running around.

Hike or drive (depending on layout of ranch) to some high spots where you can look over a lot of country and deer with quality glass. This should give you an honest idea of what's there and how to navigate the country to set-up for your shot. Depending on the ranch, it could be loaded with deer or limited in quantity........all of this will factor into your hunting approach and selection process. Hopefully you'll get to see both; an old unique type buck.........but a 5.5 years old 185" buck is no slouch either. :)

Two sides of this property have large mesas that I can glass from. I plan on glassing from both to get a good layout of the land.
I'll probably drive around a bit too just to see the entire thing... there is a lot! I should be arrow to narrow down areas with deer though and then start looking for bucks. The first time I ever drove onto the property there were 12 mule deer bucks at the gate. They were small, but hey.... that's a great start :D
I promise you I won't pass on something that big just because it's younger haha
I've only seen two pictures of deer taken from his property. They were killed by his family and all cleared 180....

It sounds like your questions are answered, but I'll try to put into perspective. You stated it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, so treat it as such, but keep an open mind. What I mean is that not all properties hold nice bucks, but my impression is that this property does. You also stated that you have 7-9 days to scout. Take as much time as you can/need to scout the ranch well. In doing so, you should get a very good idea of not only the numbers of bucks, but the quality. You should also have the opportunity to gather information from the ranch owner/hands; you may also want to clarify the ranch owners expectations of what you harvest. By the time your done scouting and gathering information you should know the potential quality of animals on the ranch during the time you scouted. You should know some patterns of the animals. You should have gathered information on the patterns of the animals during the season you'll be hunting, if animals from surrounding areas move into the ranch, if deer from the ranch move off of it, feed water and bedding areas... Additionally, by the time your done scouting, you should have formulated a plan of the quality level of animal you want to harvest.

As a once in a lifetime opportunity, or potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity, use it harvest a real trophy if that opportunity is available. Lastly, at all times, exhibit respect and appreciation for this opportunity to the ranch owner, family and workers, they and their activities should be priority.

Best of luck! Wish I could tag along.

KClark

WKR
Sounds like you want to know if you take a 'Happy' specimen will you regret it later when you learn what a 180" class buck is and what you had access to. I'm all for shooting the 'Happy' bucks and bulls and I don't like going home without meat but that can be done just about anywhere. If you have access to a spot with huge mule deer why shoot a little guy in that spot? Why not somewhere closer/easier/cheaper?

Reminds me of a friend who drew an elk tag in an area of Nevada most of us would willingly trade a left nut, partial right arm and dibs on the first born for. He shot a raghorn the first day cuz it made him happy. Why not get a tag somewhere else and shoot a raghorn that makes you happy and leave that super special tag available to someone who really, really appreciates it for what it is.

In the end it's your call and I'm not trying to be a downer but you don't want to end up with a regret like I have, which is passing up a Dall sheep hunt in an awesome area, b&c horns almost guaranteed. I was already there caribou hunting and a sheep hunter didn't show up, lost his deposit and the outfitter had no way to re-book it on zero notice. He offered it to me for $1200, cash, check, credit card or good faith. I passed because I knew my wife would be upset. I fixed that situation just in case a deal like that ever comes up again. ;)

OP
Lostinthewoods
Sounds like you want to know if you take a 'Happy' specimen will you regret it later when you learn what a 180" class buck is and what you had access to. I'm all for shooting the 'Happy' bucks and bulls and I don't like going home without meat but that can be done just about anywhere. If you have access to a spot with huge mule deer why shoot a little guy in that spot? Why not somewhere closer/easier/cheaper?

Reminds me of a friend who drew an elk tag in an area of Nevada most of us would willingly trade a left nut, partial right arm and dibs on the first born for. He shot a raghorn the first day cuz it made him happy. Why not get a tag somewhere else and shoot a raghorn that makes you happy and leave that super special tag available to someone who really, really appreciates it for what it is.

In the end it's your call and I'm not trying to be a downer but you don't want to end up with a regret like I have, which is passing up a Dall sheep hunt in an awesome area, b&c horns almost guaranteed. I was already there caribou hunting and a sheep hunter didn't show up, lost his deposit and the outfitter had no way to re-book it on zero notice. He offered it to me for $1200, cash, check, credit card or good faith. I passed because I knew my wife would be upset. I fixed that situation just in case a deal like that ever comes up again. ;)

You can definitely see my dilemma! Dilemma is probably a poor choice in words as this is a great opportunity, but you can certainly see the battle I'm putting myself through. That's why I came to you guys! If this was an elk hunt or whitetail hunt on a 45K acre ranch, I know exactly what I'd be holding out for. Being I have zero mule deer to my name.... I want to do this right! If there is a right way haha.

I think with everyones help I certainly have a good game plan. It's also nice that I've got some scouting time too. It's not like I'm just showing up and going in cold. So as long as I hunt smart, I think that I will hopefully be leaving with something that I would not regret one bit!

I'm sorry to hear about that sheep hunt........ :(
Thanks for the post!

It sounds like your questions are answered, but I'll try to put into perspective. You stated it's a once in a lifetime opportunity, so treat it as such, but keep an open mind. What I mean is that not all properties hold nice bucks, but my impression is that this property does. You also stated that you have 7-9 days to scout. Take as much time as you can/need to scout the ranch well. In doing so, you should get a very good idea of not only the numbers of bucks, but the quality. You should also have the opportunity to gather information from the ranch owner/hands; you may also want to clarify the ranch owners expectations of what you harvest. By the time your done scouting and gathering information you should know the potential quality of animals on the ranch during the time you scouted. You should know some patterns of the animals. You should have gathered information on the patterns of the animals during the season you'll be hunting, if animals from surrounding areas move into the ranch, if deer from the ranch move off of it, feed water and bedding areas... Additionally, by the time your done scouting, you should have formulated a plan of the quality level of animal you want to harvest.

As a once in a lifetime opportunity, or potentially a once in a lifetime opportunity, use it harvest a real trophy if that opportunity is available. Lastly, at all times, exhibit respect and appreciation for this opportunity to the ranch owner, family and workers, they and their activities should be priority.

Best of luck! Wish I could tag along.

To say the land owner has been generous to me is an understatement. He not only gave me permission to hunt the ranch for mule deer, but he's giving me a private land owner antelope tag this year too. Aside from the millions of "thank yous" I've told the rancher, I bought him an expensive bottle of scotch and another pretty cool gift. I got him a hand carved America flag (he's a veteran and huge patriot) and then I got his ranch brand etched into the flag along with his ranch name. I'm pretty sure he loved it! I'm also going to bring him and his family some elk. Some people recommended that I take some pictures of the hunt and his ranch while I am there. Then when I leave send him a thank you card with the pictures of his ranch. I really like that idea. I also told him I'll pick up all the trash I see while Im out scouting and hunting. I want to make sure he knows how much I am so grateful for this opportunity!

You know you make a very good point, I probably need to ask the ranch owner if he has any expectations.
He may have some standards already set in place.
You make a very strong case with your perspective and I will certainly follow the little game plan you laid out.
I plan on scouting the crap out of it and having a very good understanding of what's going on out there. I only wish I could spend even more time!

Here's to hoping for the best! Thanks again for the post!

mod700

Lil-Rokslider
Some good advice above, also might consider looking at some mounts of good bucks if possible, (in person)... put into some perspective, on what your looking for, and something to reference from. Enjoy your hunt, make some memories.
Mike

If I knew 15 years ago what I know now I would say that Mule Deer hunting is whatever you make it out to be. It can be the easiest, laziest thing in the world where you drive in a razor until a spike runs across the road and you kill it, or it can be as physically and mentally taxing as the most grueling sheep hunt in the Yukon. My best piece of advice is don't go into this hunt thinking its a Gimme, even if you were hunting where deer never see humans, the old ones still would be hard to find. So treat them like a super intelligent animal and hunt them that way and I think you will pull a fantastic buck off this hunt. I think many times hunters equate low pressure to easy success, It can make it easier, but like I said no mule deer older than 4 years old is easy to kill.
Also keep your chin up through the whole hunt. Don't let yourself be discouraged or it will affect your ability to make clear well thought out decisions while in the field. Even if its flat land get fit if you aren't already, being fit makes your hunt more fun but gives you a mental edge after you have been hunting for a few days and are tired. And my last piece of advice is enjoy every minute of it. The good, the bad, and everything in between, I hunt mule deer because I love everything about it, from the disappointments, the physical exhaustion, and the beauty of the mountains and the deer. so ENJOY!

Last edited:
No pressure Dan, but these three jokers were all first muleys. Granted, I did have to talk the guy into shooting the bottom left one... And you know how he would have felt it he passed that buck.

ebe5eb139bdf0c9ed1741bfe6487886e.jpg

Oh yeah... They were also on public land. So your private land ranch aught to produce something decent.

I think you'll get a pretty good assessment of what's out there after the first 2 days. Just be patient behind your glass and you'll find a big guy.

If you wanna kill a dink you could always come up to Idaho, I got a couple of em tied up already.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
I'd thank the land owner for the offer and then turn it down. I want no advantage over other hunters and that's the reason I only do public land hunts.

Yes, i'm in the minority, but that actually makes me feel better about it. Antlers mean nothing compared to self-esteem.

LandYacht

WKR
Bar has a hunt naked bumper sticker too.

You'll know the buck when you see it. It's weird how they speak to your soul in a way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimss

WKR
I guess I'll chime in from a different perspective. Which county in New Mexico will you be hunting? There is only 1 county in the entire state of NM that is noted for trophy class B&C muledeer on a regular basis. If the ranch is inside Rio Arriba County you may have struck gold. Obviously the timing of your hunt and location of the ranch may make or break bucks available. Is there migration or any other factors that may effect your hunt?

I consider myself a "trophy hunter" no matter what species I hunt. The first thing I do when researching a new species is to look at a B&C record sheet so I can properly judge and score the species. Next I look at as many photos, sheds, mounts, etc of B&C animals as possible. I put a tape on antlers to figure out what confirmation and measurements contribute most to the score. You will learn that long points, INSIDE spread, and main beam length all have significant bearing on muledeer score. Just because a buck is 30" wide doesn't mean he will score squat! I'd guess that 90% of muledeer hunters aren't aware that INSIDE spread and not OUTSIDE is the proper spread measurement for B&C muledeer, I've looked at enough trophy muledeer that I can instantly tell if a buck is 170 vs 180 vs 190+. Obviously if score isn't important to you it doesn't matter. If you are concerned at all with score you owe it to yourself to research and learn how to field judge and score muleys. If it doesn't matter look for an impressive buck, enjoy your trip, and let're rip!