Does a bunch of elk mean no deer?

So, I just started hunting deer in some areas that also have elk in it. If I am glassing an area and the elk are in there should I move on right away or will the deer and elk share an area?

They often share areas from my glassing experience. I feel that they rarely push each other out. Oftentimes I only see deer or only elk in certain miles of country based on habitat, trees versus sage. If you find an area with both, I think that's cool.

OP
MuleyFever
From your experience are you talking young or doe mule deer? Will a mature buck hang out with elk in the area?

The areas I hunt they seem to share the area. I find mulie beds not far from elk beds and rubs. Often times I would see fresh deer and elk tracks on the same path. This was born out on the trail cams I have been putting up around that area, half of pics are of elk the other half are of mule deer, with the odd ball fox thrown in for fun.

Vids

WKR
My experience is that seeing one species doesn't mean you won't see the other. With regards to big bucks, last fall we saw elk within 1/4 mile of a basin where we were glassing A LOT of mule deer. There were several large bucks in there, amongst the does and younger bucks.

Depends on feed and water. High country where there is a lot they're usually not in the same basins, same with moose. Other areas I hunt that tend to be drier and less feed, they bed within 100yrds of each other and feed/water in the same holes. So it depends on the country, if they don't have to share the same areas they generally won't.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Back in the 80's and even early 90's we used to have an equal chance at taking a good muley or an elk when we hunted, and since both were OTC then, we often did. But these days I rarely ever see any deer when I'm elk hunting.

Beendare

WKR
I've seen both situations....where they share the area.....and where big herds of elk push the mulies into fringe habitat.

The books say they share...and it makes sense as deer are browsers...while elk eat the grasses. Reality is a little different IME. Those big herds of elk are like cattle when it comes to deer...they don't like them. When there are scattered elk in smaller groups, it doesn't seem to bother the mulies.

chindits

WKR
They will be in the same area and you can't form an impression from a single observation. This year I watched a buck get chased by a bull as the buck walked through the middle of an elk herd. The very next week in another drainage I saw a solo bull traveling and feeding with 3 bucks even though a 1/4 mile away there was a herd of 80+ elk with multiple branched bulls. I have also seen Muleys browsing right next to moose. My conclusion is when they are together you will see them together when they aren't together then you will not see them together.

Maverick940

Banned
Two winters ago I watched a Boone & Crockett Coues buck walk right through the middle of a herd or 37 elk (cows, calves and bulls). Right through the middle of them. So, you never know where a trophy buck is going to turn up.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I firmly believe that elk displace mule deer. You will sometimes see them mix but overwhelmingly when large numbers of elk move into an area the deer disappear.

ColoradoV

WKR
I see them live right on top of each other all summer long but in Colorado at least lots of elk eventually. Will mean elk hunters and elk hunters displace bucks quicker than anything I have seen.

So yea in a round about way elk displace deer.