Scouting tips for mule deer?

Lheise88

FNG
This is my first year hunting mule deer. I have a great spot with some giant bucks killed around the area. I've got great optics and one day a week at least to scout. My question is how long do you all sit at daylight and glass before you call it quits. And if you don't see any shooter bucks do you return to that spot and how many times will you give it before calling it quits and moving to another one? Is it ok this time of the year to put boots on the ground and explore new areas. Or will that potentially bump any deer out of the area if I would jump one up? I just ordered Robby dennings book so hopefully that will have some info I can use. I'm going to give this 100% no matter what I have to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maverick940

Banned
I've been known to sit on the same rock all day, every day, if I know that the buck I want to kill is in the area.

mtnkid85

WKR
Ive found, if your walking into a new area you need to move around and get a feel for all the country. Once Ive located a buck Im interested in then I can sit for days on end.

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
Awesome. I've only seen a few small bucks so far. Still trying to find that shooter so I've been getting nervous since I haven't seen much over 130. Some places I hike to are so thick and nasty in the side hills and canyon bottoms you would never be able to see them or put on a stalk. So I'm trying to eliminate those areas. I'm guessing If there are groups of small bucks together there would be bigger bucks in the same area? Being a Midwest whitetail hunter this is all new to me. I'm absolutely addicted to this and see why you all are as well lol. Just hoping I can locate a couple deer at least to have a few options for the days I get to hunt.

BrianID

FNG
I normally sit on my glassing spot for 2-3 hours in the morning but that varies. July and August are the times to be glassing multiple different locations. At this time of the year I won't glass a spot more than a day or maybe two if I haven't seen a buck that peaks my interest. I might return to that spot a couple weeks later but I think it will increase your odds of finding a good buck scout several different places.
Within a month of the season opening, I try not to "put boots on the ground" and risk bumping deer. The best time to do that is right after the season closes. Sometimes while the season is open, I'll "put boots on the ground" and slowly still hunt through an area that I've wanted to learn better.

I'd be moving around after giving each place a day or two, eventually circling back to the most promising places. It's great to get a nice one in a routine before the season.

Don't worry about bumping deer that much if you get to a glassing spot and look miles away. It would just be the country from the road to your spot that you would disturb at all, which usually shouldn't be too big of a deal, especially if there's some tree cover.

Maverick940

Banned
The best time to do that is right after the season closes. .

Anymore, I do all of my elk, mule deer and Coues deer scouting during the three months that are right after the general firearms seasons. The first four weeks right after the general firearms seasons usually tells me what older age-class males are likely to do during the firearms seasons. For me, I get a much better feel for what's happening in an area and what's available in terms of trophies and what those trophies are likely to do during hunting season, by scouting post season.

Tag_Soup

WKR
Awesome. I've only seen a few small bucks so far. Still trying to find that shooter so I've been getting nervous since I haven't seen much over 130. Some places I hike to are so thick and nasty in the side hills and canyon bottoms you would never be able to see them or put on a stalk. So I'm trying to eliminate those areas. I'm guessing If there are groups of small bucks together there would be bigger bucks in the same area? Being a Midwest whitetail hunter this is all new to me. I'm absolutely addicted to this and see why you all are as well lol. Just hoping I can locate a couple deer at least to have a few options for the days I get to hunt.

Typically, If I am finding does and young bucks (two pts), I won't stay long in that area. This time of year I usually try to find some bucks without does and then spend the majority of my time in those areas. Usually if there are a decent number of bucks in a basin, there will be a smoker in there too. They are often much harder to locate. I won't sit one area more than an hour or so, Rather, I will continually relocate and glass the same basin in order to get new angles. Some times this will only be 20 yards, some times a couple hundred. If there is a big buck in the area, chances are he will have to get up and move in his bed or move to a new bed at some point. I like to glass the shady side of trees or ribbon cliffs in the mid day timeframe. If you are finding big tracks in the area and only seeing small bucks, try to spend more time there. If there aren't any big tracks and you give it a college try for a couple days, it's probably time to relocate IMHO.

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. With the season fast approaching and working so much I'm getting a little worried. But hopefully the next 5 or 6 times I get to go out will be decent. Haven't really seen too many does around in the areas I've been looking. Mostly just groups of smaller bucks. Gotta be a big one in there somewhere. Lol. Learning to sit and glass has been kind of a challenge coming from a Midwest Whitetail Hunter. Only because you only see on shows and online guys moving around. Not the hours of sitting behind glass. But I'm getting there.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm in your shoes also still learning. I got Robby Denning, Kurt Darner, David Long, and Mike Eastmans books that are great. I also got a number of older muley books that help too. When scouting early look high as bucks may be in bachelor groups up high where they don't bump velvet racks as much and the wind/temp helps with bugs. Don't expect them to stay there when they are hard horned and especially not during gun season. They might be fairly close but will likely be lower and in much more cover.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. With the season fast approaching and working so much I'm getting a little worried. But hopefully the next 5 or 6 times I get to go out will be decent. Haven't really seen too many does around in the areas I've been looking. Mostly just groups of smaller bucks. Gotta be a big one in there somewhere. Lol. Learning to sit and glass has been kind of a challenge coming from a Midwest Whitetail Hunter. Only because you only see on shows and online guys moving around. Not the hours of sitting behind glass. But I'm getting there.

What state are you in Lheise88? I am in the same boat as you. Midwest whitetail hunter and now am absolutely addicted to mule deer hunting in the west. It did take a bit to get used to glassing but now I am behind my binocs and spotter every second I can.

OP
L

Lheise88

FNG
What state are you in Lheise88? I am in the same boat as you. Midwest whitetail hunter and now am absolutely addicted to mule deer hunting in the west. It did take a bit to get used to glassing but now I am behind my binocs and spotter every second I can.

I'm in North Dakota. Finally got a tag for up here after working up here. I don't want to ever chase whitetails again after experiencing this. And I haven't even killed one yet.

Muleys32

Lil-Rokslider
Nice! Same here. There are some decent ones out in the badlands for sure. I'll be scouting in the morning. Good luck!

mcseal2

WKR
For a midwestern whitetail hunter just being able to look over a bunch of public land and know you can hunt what you see is a thrill. I'm fortunate to have some great ground for whitetail hunting that my family ranches on. I can hunt ground nobody else can hunt, but it's checker boarded with different owners whose ground others hunt. Everyone tries to manage what the ground they hunt to tempt deer to be on that property during hunting season. I can never glass from high ground at home and know I can hunt what I see from there, I can only hunt part of it and I'm very lucky to be able to do that. I love that public land puts everyone on the same page and lets you work toward what you want from the experience. I love the challenge of taking mature, educated animals from ground where anyone who draws the tag can hunt, nobody has an advantage.

Taw024

FNG
Great post so far. I am planning my first mule deer hunt my self so trying to learn what I can. I also have my own farm and several others to hunt whitetail. I have found a new passion in diy public ground. I have several whitetail on wall up to 193 inches and they just don't do it for me anymore. I have A buck that should push 190's this year I have been watching since he was 2 he should be 5 now. But diy public has bitten me. I wish u luck on ur first mule deer hunt as my first is this year also.

Also if u have any good books to suggest I am all ears.