X9a new guy here

Jespino

FNG
Wondering if anyone else on here got drawn an X9a tag this year?? I along with 3 of my buddies got drawn. Looking to hear what everyone's experience is with that area.

Bagel_7

Lil-Rokslider
My friend and his family hunt that zone every few years as the draw system allows, they've been hunting it 20 years.
He drew this year and I plan to go out opening weekend with him and help him pack out a deer if he takes one. Coming from him there are a lot of deer in the area, his family typically tags out first weekend. Mostly they meat hunt and don't pass many deer. My friend plans to try to take a larger racked deer this year and if he hikes enough I'm sure he will. My experience there has to do with the ground cover. There is a thick 4 to 6 inch layer of pine needles on the forest floor so hiking is slow while trying to be quite. I would suggest something to dampen your foot steps if you've never been to the area.

OP
J

Jespino

FNG
Much appreciated Bagel 7, I just spoke with a few people that live in the lee vinning area they as well say there's plenty of freezer meat to go around but the bigger ones will be up a lil higher. Thanks for the reply I'll be up opening weekend as well staying at Hartley springs or the June loop somewhere. If you see a silver gmc crew cab with a team hunt sticker on the back stop by for a cold one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jespino

FNG
Good luck! Wish I could help. I will be in D7 for archery opener

Good luck as well, I usually hunt D8 (raised in that area) but always wanted to hunt D7 maybe next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wtrfwlnut

FNG
Good Luck with X9a, three of us hunted there last year for one small forky. Subaru's, Prius' and Patagonia jackets everywhere....Man there are a lot of hikers in that area these days...Too close to LA I'm guessing. Stay away from the little brown signs depicting a hiker with a backpack and walking stick. We even went many miles back in on a number of those trails and couldn't get away from people. I hope you have better luck than we did there. We should have scouted more but it was tough. They cut the tag quota in half from what I hear so hopefully that helps. If it were me, I would plan to hike back in a ways were you can get away from day hikers. Best of luck!

Paradactal

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a certain area in mind yet? As wtrflwnut said, there are a lot of hikers. I never feel welcomed when Im in hunting gear. Best plan is to get down one of the trails a ways and then find a spot to peel off. There are lots of nice deer in that unit. Getting there a few days early will def help and glassing is a must. It will be cold with snow on the ground still in the higher parts. Windy as well. If packing in, be sure to have appropriate gear. PM me if you want, Ive hunted there a few times including last year.