Idaho Help

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
I don't want to scare you off and you're more than welcome to Idaho by me, but the guys above are right about the winter kill. Not doubting F&G, but they're on the optimistic side by what I've seen. I've found plenty of 2-3 year old bucks, but the age classes above that seem to have taken a hit. I've seen 110+ bucks this summer and only two I'd peg at 4+ years. But by all means they are out there and you won't kill one if you don't come out. Plenty of rough country along the Salmon river that you can truck camp and day hike and if you're not too picky, will probably be pretty happy. And the comment about hunting the sage country is spot on.

We just want to hunt:). The experience drives us more than anything. It will be a different style of hunting for us and something I've always wanted to try. I'm over 40 now so no time like the present:).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I just spent the last month in central Idaho. Saw plenty of deer, saw plenty of bucks.
So...all the deer in Idaho got kilt last winter...or it'll be just like the last few years where you were in danger of tagging out while sighting in your gun. Both a bit extreme.
It's likely somewhere in the middle, leaning towards the good. Keep a positive attitude, it'll be fun. IMHO.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
We are leaning towards 21A. Looking forward to the trip:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be in that area on and off in Sept/Oct, I'll let you know if I see anything of interest. You'll have a great time.

Broomd

WKR
People are just trying to scare you off,...

lol! That may be the stupidest thing I have ever read on this forum. Completely idiotic.

The Winter here last year was beyond horrible, deer took a huge hit where we live and fared worse elsewhere. I found several carcasses right on my own property and our deep canyon here offers a decent amount of feed and protection. It didn't help. I suspect the elk didn't do much better. Frankly I let the elk raid my cattle hay some days, they were exhausted just getting to it. Their long legs helped them through 2-3 months of 35" ice crusted snow. Many deer had no chance.

The OP should try not to kill a doe, they are the brood stock and we need every single one right now. My .02.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with Broom if Robby the sight founder says it was rough winter maybe it is worth noting. 21A is not south cetral ID which was hammered the worst from what I hear. The snow was up to the bottom of stop signs. That said go and see for yourself.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm kinda done answering questions on Idahos last winter and the winter kill. I've got quite a few private messages and some listen and some don't. Which is their choice. So..........as others have said, check the areas out for yourself and go hunting.:cool:

Randy

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I was mistaken. I did not see any buck deer in Idaho over the last month. None. No big Colorado type ones either. Not in OTC units. I haven't archery hunted for deer in 10 years but I'm headed there for the opener...no reason I guess.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It didn't kill them all off in Idaho, but numbers are definitely down from previous years
240c8afc3828c76e86e104329bdce082.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
1 day of archery hunting, 4 bucks in the 140-160 class. There'd be a big ol velvet buck at the taxi if I wasn't a poopy archery hunter :/ I guess some spots were hit hard, SE and maybe some central parts but other than that... gas up the truck, put your boots on and go on a adventure my friends.