Idaho Help

Gonewest

WKR
I'm headed to Idaho this fall. Because of coaching I have a small window to hunt towards the end of the general season. I've narrowed the area to the Salmon Region. We're leaning towards a truck camp. This is a new type of hunt for us. We've been hunting eastern Montana so the terrain is really different:). I've spent many hours online scouting but I'm having a hard time narrowing it down. Anyone have any tips or advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not sure what you are expecting but the winter kill this year was horrible. All that area was hit really hard especially the deer herds with some areas having up to an 85 percent loss. Elk seemed to fare better but not sure what this hunting season will bring. Typically, that entire area is pretty decent hunting once you get away from the atv yahoos.
We recently did a 3 day scouting trip and it was bleak.

Randy

I have done much scouting around that area this year as well. The Elk seem to be doing fine with many quality specimens to be found. As mtnwrunner stated t\he deer are the other hand are few and far between. I have only seen a handful of bucks, none bigger than 3x3. The fawns and does' look very scrawny compared to previous years. That is a great area with quality game but I am pretty much dialing back my expectations for a buck this year.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Thanks for the responses. Honestly we don't expect much. Just want to hunt and see some cool country. Would be nice to see some game though. How about SE Idaho?

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Maybe I'll find a bear:)

Go hunt and don't worry about the winter kill. It affected the younger deer more so there will likely be many less yearlings and a few less bigger bucks.

On google earth, first look to get away from roads. I would also look for sagebrush habitat because I find more mulies in that. I'd look for good glassing points. Possibly some escape cover. Also, water.

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
Go hunt and don't worry about the winter kill. It affected the younger deer more so there will likely be many less yearlings and a few less bigger bucks.

On google earth, first look to get away from roads. I would also look for sagebrush habitat because I find more mulies in that. I'd look for good glassing points. Possibly some escape cover. Also, water.

Thank you for the advice!

Lowe43

FNG
People are just trying to scare you off, check out the salmon river breaks and edge of farm fields where public and private meet deer will transition to and from the fields just be sure you are on public land good luck

OP
Gonewest

Gonewest

WKR
People are just trying to scare you off, check out the salmon river breaks and edge of farm fields where public and private meet deer will transition to and from the fields just be sure you are on public land good luck

Thank you for the advice

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

nope, not at all. It was a bad winter and one can expect results that come with one.

Randy

I bought an Idaho tag and went scouting, saw a bunch of elk and not many deer, however I did see a good buck! Seriously, don't heed naysayers, there's less deer, but every few years the same thing happens. Also I can relate to the many hours online. Just pick a spot that looks good and go. There will be some deer there. Cant guarantee a big one but hunt hard and good things can happen.

While I can appreciate how many would think this given the protective nature of many hunters my assessment was given based on the 200 miles I have pounded out in my hunting area and the 1000's of trail camera pictures over the last few months. The number of bucks is way down to what it was previously in the areas I hunt. This isn't a scare tactic, this is simply counting the number of encounters and pictures vs previous years. I didn't say there weren't deer, I simply said I wasn't seeing many and the ones I did were not large.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
The deer numbers are down according to many friends with feet on the ground and local but go ahead and try it. Certain parts of the staye faired very well but cenral to south central Idaho is not in good shape. Believe what you want but with fawn mortality at 70 to 90 percent you are looking at a tough next couple of years.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Watching one of your favorite areas get hammered by a winter is very sad and discouraging so I don't blame some of the opinions here. That being said, even after bad winters there can be some good deer hunting. Its just often requires branching out a bit. I spoke with several biologists in central Idaho and Southern Idaho. The worst figure I have heard for adult females is 35% and that is in the Bear Lake area. I guess, Im so used to hunting a crappy deer unit here at home that I don't worry too much if the hunting is going to be hard I just throw my pack on and go!

Watching one of your favorite areas get hammered by a winter is very sad and discouraging so I don't blame some of the opinions here. That being said, even after bad winters there can be some good deer hunting. Its just often requires branching out a bit. I spoke with several biologists in central Idaho and Southern Idaho. The worst figure I have heard for adult females is 35% and that is in the Bear Lake area. I guess, Im so used to hunting a crappy deer unit here at home that I don't worry too much if the hunting is going to be hard I just throw my pack on and go!

robAK

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted out of a Dodge Omni from Sunbeam to Challis two years in a row when I first got out of college. Did OK, got bucks both years, tho not trophies by any means. If your willing to put the effort in you should be fine. IMO this year should be the best of the next four for deer anyways. Get out there and have some fun.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I don't want to scare you off and you're more than welcome to Idaho by me, but the guys above are right about the winter kill. Not doubting F&G, but they're on the optimistic side by what I've seen. I've found plenty of 2-3 year old bucks, but the age classes above that seem to have taken a hit. I've seen 110+ bucks this summer and only two I'd peg at 4+ years. But by all means they are out there and you won't kill one if you don't come out. Plenty of rough country along the Salmon river that you can truck camp and day hike and if you're not too picky, will probably be pretty happy. And the comment about hunting the sage country is spot on.