Idaho Unit 48 November Rut Hunt

Ryan2782

FNG
I drew a November buck tag for the rut in Idaho Unit 48. I'm new to Mule deer hunting. I did read Hunting Big Mule Deer, just finished it up and enjoyed it, and picked out a couple key factors and highly recommend the book. I haven't hunted this area before, I've driven all of Road 227 (warm springs road I think) through the unit. I've hunted 43 for elk, I am fairly familiar with the type of terrain. I've been looking around Kelly Mountain to get a view of terrain, and the best glassing spots, Deer Creek Rd and South. Finally to my question though, not knowing much about Mule deer, never specifically hunting for a buck, it is the rut, and migration time too; Is the area I'm looking at too far south too early? Should I be looking at higher elevations? Should I be looking at further North? Any thoughts, ideas, on where I am learning the terrain would be appreciated, or even just general rut hunting knowledge too would be great!

Tag_Soup

WKR
It will be weather dependent. A lot of deer from that unit will winter in 44 or 52, so you will be in the migration path if you time it right. If you don't get heavy snow early, it can be tough. If you get too much in October, a good portion of the bucks may have already pushed through by the second week of November. There are good genetics in the area and you seem to be getting into some good areas. If I were to draw the tag, I would be up there the week before season trying to find out where the snow line was and if migration activity had started. PM me if you want any specifics. I used to live within an hour of there, but don't really wan't to give away any "Secrets" over the interweb.