Idaho Unit 35 Miller Mountain Kirkham Trail

Jek11688

FNG
Headed to Idaho for Mule deer in the fall to backpack rifle hunt somewhere near Lowman in Unit 35.

Sounds like there will be ATV's and the souped up Golf carts out there no matter what correct?

Looking at the Miller mountain area and wondering if there is any water there in October, streams look pretty dry on google earth.

I can find my own spots just trying to figure out if this place is a zoo anywhere near the atv trails, wanting to hike in 6ish miles and get away from people.

More than happy to keep this in PM's if anyone is willing to divulge anything. Planning a scouting trip in middle of September.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Just keep in mind that there was a large fire there last year. Yes, there will be atv,s around but you can get away from them and I think that area falls under the motorized restriction area. The forest service station in lowman has some really nice free maps of the trail system in that area.

Randy

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto mtnrunner. That area was scorched in the pioneer fire last year. Couple that with a record winter and winter kill, and that spells hard hunting. There should be plenty of water, thanks to the record snows. Should also be the usual diehard atv's anywhere they are allowed. Your going to have to get back in off the main trails to find greenery, mostly in micro-pockets that are usually havens for elk rather than deer in that country. Have hunted unit 35 for a lot of years. Not a lot of deer, but you might score if you find the right spot. Good luck.

OP
J

Jek11688

FNG
Thanks guys, this location is coming from where buddy hunts that lives in Boise. I'm open to anywhere from Garden Valley up past Lowman, if someone wants to point me in a better direction i'd appreciate it. I'm not looking for a trophy just two decent bucks in a weeks worth of hunting.