Colorado GMU 75/751

I'm going Mule Deer hunting in Colorado GMU 75/751 in 2 weeks. I plan on hiking into the Weminuche Wilderness. I'm trying to figure out the best trail head to enter from. Is anyone familiar with the Hunchback trail head? I'm curious about the condition of the road from 520 to the Hunchback trail head

JPC

FNG
I used to guide 10 to 15 day backpacking trips in the Weminuche Wilderness - one of my favorite places of all time. We would usually start further south and end up at the Hunchback trail head. It's been over 5 years since I've been there so I can't vouch for the current road conditions, but if I remember correctly the roads were not great back then. You could easily make it with 4WD and a bit of clearance though... But that was over 5 years ago. You might be able to get current conditions by contacting some of the Jeep rental or 4x4 tour companies in Silverton or Ouray.

I think it depends on where you want to go within the wilderness to determine a starting point. I've never been up there but I can ask our wilderness rangers what the roads are like up there. I'm sure they've been up there this season at least once.