Nv 108

Capt Jims

FNG
Any of you planning on hunting NV Unit 108, I spent the last 4 days Hunting this unit. Horses WILL play a big role in your Hunt. We counted 131 in 1 herd, and 85 in another, with numerous herds of 5 to 20 and they are spread out throughout this entire unit. I spoke with the Ranger yesterday on my way out, and he told me that he had not seen this many horses in this area ever. So plan on encounters with them if your hunting here.
Jim

Not an expert on unit 101-108 having only hunted it three times but unless it's the late rifle or archery, I'd concentrate on 101-103.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
C

Capt Jims

FNG
I agree except. the flats near Rock Spring the first few days is usually holding some very nice Bucks until the masses come.

Hunted 104 this past weekend. Pony spring on the Second Butte is a waste, their is a dead mare in the upper spring that has contaminated that water. Sadly, her colt has not left his mother yet. Sad to see, because we know what the outcome will be for him. Willow Spring had good sign and a blind built into the trees to the south of the spring. Better sign of Bigger Elk than Deer but definetly do larger deer their as well. On the way from Pony Spring to Willow Spring their were 2 very nice Shooter Antelope just withing 100 yards of the road. We ended this leg of the trip out at White Rock Springs, Very Nice well maintaned Spring and a seperate trough for the ever present horses.

We went over to Cabin Spring on the Maverick Range, No Water at the Spring, but a Kool Place to look around mid day in the 90+degree heat. Our last shot at filling the tag was a Mountain Spring a few miles from Cabin Spring. Mountain Spring is on Private land, but their are no "No Trespassing or No Hunting" signs and a clear open gate. When we came around to where we could see the spring, there were 4 does and a small Buck on the water. They hauled the mail to the upper slopes and that was it. In looking around, there were VERY GOOD signs of both Larger Mule Deer and Big ELK tracks and sign everywhere on the flat between the tree line and the water. Very Clear to and From tracks are visible and the best thing was no human tracks that we found. Hope all this helps someone fill a tag.. Good Luck