I thought I could find deer

chukar_chaser

Lil-Rokslider
Until I moved to Idaho.... :) Now all I find is elk. I have located a few 300+ bulls and found one this morning pushing 330. But deer are freaking impossible to find in Eastern Idaho!! I have spent an insane amount of time glassing and scouting and have not seen a deer that would push 170. I guess elk hunting it is!

Vids

WKR
If your luck is like mine, just wait until you have an elk tag. Then the elk disappear and you're getting run over by deer....

JWP58

WKR
Ya but who cares when you have Huns, sharptail, chukar, blues, ruffs, and quail.....you live in mecca (excluding the state income tax)

2 reasons-
1. Hard winter. This has been hashed out in several other threads but the bottom line is.....there are way less deer in East Idaho than the previous few years.
2. There are big bucks in East Idaho, but....not a lot. Bucks over 170 don't come easy even in good years. Most of the Eastern side of the state is otc for mulies and most bucks die before they get to 170. There will certainly be comments later in this thread that dispute my remarks, but having hunted East Idaho for my entire life, I can assure you it is not a big buck mecca. I have seen them and shot them, but it isn't easy and requires skill and lots of luck.
That being said, good job on doing your homework and I hope it pays off for you sooner rather than later.