AZ Unit 12B west early rifle

I was lucky enough as NR to draw a 12B west early rifle tag with zero points coming into the draw. I have maps on the way and have been scouring the internet and google earth. This is my first mule deer hunt so not only is the unit new to me but mule deer hunting in general. I've read a lot of conflicting info on the early season hunt in this unit on other forums and would love to hear from someone who has hunted this unit/season. Realistic expectations, hunting pressure(road hunters) weather, water, anything! Not looking for anyone's spot or someone to hold my hand but any Info or advice would be greatly appreciated. if you'd rather PM than post on here that works too.

wow, congrats. Hire an outfitter, itd be a shame to waste that tag in such a great area. Id recommend A3 or Big Chino

Camofreak

FNG
The early hunt in there is tough. Lots and lots of glassing and moving around to find the bucks. Not as many deer as the 12a side on the early hunt, never know though might get some snow to help you out.

Face8780

Lil-Rokslider
I love DIY but you'd be crazy to chance wasting that tag. Get a guide that knows where the deer are!!

OP
T
Thanks for the responses and advice, but I had a son this year and financially going the guided route just isn't in the cards this year.

TBarron

WKR
I just shot you PM. I just got back from an archery hunt and it's one hell of year up there. The deer were starting to rub early so hunting lower down on the east side transition areas or by the park should be on fire. Also it's been really dry the past couple of weeks so lots of big bucks were being killed on waterholes. I ended up taking a a nice buck but missed a 200. Another guy in our group missed a monster 230+ monster. Congrats on an awesome tag. Man I wish I was still there.
8bbf92e78ff32878ff9eaebf5273d4fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

452b264

Lil-Rokslider
12 B isnt any where near the park, its a dry unit on the far north end of the Kaibab its one hundred percent wintering grounds for a portion of the Kaibab and the Utah herd. Migration begins around late Oct but its the does and smaller bucks from Utah that are just starting to show up, if it snows hard up high you will have a good hunt but that only happens about once every 10 years -/+ and it just happened two years ago. 99.999 of the deer you see will be spikes and forks, small 3/4 pointers and about 50 does per day. Now the late hunt is the extreme opposite of the early hunt.

AZhuntdoc

FNG
Have this hunt this year. Looking forward to a new unit with different terrain and potential. Hit me up if you wanna help a guy out

rubio52

FNG
Way to go on getting a premium tag with no points. I had the early 12a a few years back and I was not dissapointed in the amount of bucks that i saw. I passed a buck every day hoping for a bruiser . No luck on a bruiser but i did get a decent buck on my last evening hunt.