Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 31 of 31
  1. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Wasatch Front
    Posts
    117
    Post Thanks / Like

    What unit are you in? This looks similar to where I've been hunting. I've had the same trouble as you though. I'm seeing a few good bucks but I haven't been able to get close and they are hanging out in some rough country. I have a Wasatch West tag and I've been hunting up high.

  2. #22
    Senior Member realunlucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Utah
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Augustus46 View Post
    What unit are you in? This looks similar to where I've been hunting. I've had the same trouble as you though. I'm seeing a few good bucks but I haven't been able to get close and they are hanging out in some rough country. I have a Wasatch West tag and I've been hunting up high.
    This is a West Desert tag. Crazy mix of high and low country in this unit.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  3. #23
    Senior Member realunlucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Utah
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went out yesterday and spotted my number one buck. Bedded him up in a small patch of service berry after an prefect stalk I was within 44 yards of the patch. 6 hours later he finally stood up and I shot right over him. Throw up a little in mouth just thinking about now.
    Anyways thanks for the tips. Sometimes they just bed in place with low low odds of getting a quality opportunity and it's just best to wait for a better. When everything does go right be sure to finish with a good shot.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post
  5. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    83
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by realunlucky View Post
    I went out yesterday and spotted my number one buck. Bedded him up in a small patch of service berry after an prefect stalk I was within 44 yards of the patch. 6 hours later he finally stood up and I shot right over him. Throw up a little in mouth just thinking about now.
    Anyways thanks for the tips. Sometimes they just bed in place with low low odds of getting a quality opportunity and it's just best to wait for a better. When everything does go right be sure to finish with a good shot.

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    6 Hours! wow that must have been tough waiting.

  6. #25
    Senior Member Cant hit em's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    908
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ive blown my chances this year , i might be the worlds worst stalker


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

  7. #26
    Senior Member Shackdaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Central Valley, CA
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cant hit em View Post
    Ive blown my chances this year , i might be the worlds worst stalker


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    That's not true. You "stalked" in on that bear in the tree that was 6 ft above your head

  8. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
  9. #27
    Super Moderator Travis Bertrand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Reno,NV
    Posts
    2,144
    Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read Dwight schuh's book?

    Open country mule deer or something along those lines

  10. #28
    Senior Member realunlucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Utah
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bertrand View Post
    Have you read Dwight schuh's book?

    Open country mule deer or something along those lines
    Yes I have a copy just reviewed it actually. Think I've got an idea now but it's frustrating as hell. Watching eight bucks right waiting for them to bed. This storm blowing in has them out of thier pattern. Hopefully I can use that

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  11. Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post
  12. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southwest Idaho
    Posts
    124
    Post Thanks / Like
    The areas I used to hunt when I lived in Nevada were more open with sage, terraces of large rocks and service berry(9200'+). I searched hard for areas that would make stalking easier after putting them to bed.

    There were other areas that had more deer but the cover was too heavy and once bedded you had no chance stalking into their bedroom.

    It may not be the case where you are hunting but I try to find areas where I can stalk deer once they are bedded. I've tried areas similar to yours but the Buck Brush and Aspen pockets are just too hard to hunt.
    The deer have all the advantage in those areas.

    About the best chance you have in areas like you are hunting is pattern the deer and see what trails they are using if possible. Get in there early and sit and hope for the best. It sounds like your deer live in a smaller area they know they are safe in.

    Thant makes for some tough archery hunting.

  13. #30
    Senior Member realunlucky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Eastern Utah
    Posts
    5,982
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by excaliber View Post
    The areas I used to hunt when I lived in Nevada were more open with sage, terraces of large rocks and service berry(9200'+). I searched hard for areas that would make stalking easier after putting them to bed.

    There were other areas that had more deer but the cover was too heavy and once bedded you had no chance stalking into their bedroom.

    It may not be the case where you are hunting but I try to find areas where I can stalk deer once they are bedded. I've tried areas similar to yours but the Buck Brush and Aspen pockets are just too hard to hunt.
    The deer have all the advantage in those areas.

    About the best chance you have in areas like you are hunting is pattern the deer and see what trails they are using if possible. Get in there early and sit and hope for the best. It sounds like your deer live in a smaller area they know they are safe in.

    Thant makes for some tough archery hunting.
    This is great advice I should have found different area but all the big bucks kept me focused there. I ended up eating my tag but did a few opportunities. Once I snuck up when a storm came in and filled the canyon with thick fog but got disoriented. A few times I snuck in close to the thick brush and waited till they moved. It is sure frustrating hunting that stuff

    Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

  14. #31
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Castle Rock, CO
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty new in the archery game but have had a little success in open country and this works for me but others will probably disagree. This may not make sense but don't be afraid to blow it or afraid to fail. I get aggressive, probably overly aggressive, but the good thing about mule deer is if you blow the stalk they're not going to go all that far. And you can let them calm down and catch up to them. they'll go bed then just do it again. What I know for a fact is that if you sit there and watch those bucks do the same thing day after day, and you do the same thing expecting different results, you're probably not going to get any closer. And it's a hell of a lot more fun hunting them like that! For me anyway. Good luck to you I hope you find a way to get in range!

    *if you don't want to be mobile like I like to be just ambush them. Easier said than done but lots of guys are successful using that tactic. Maybe try a ground blind? Have fun whatever you do that's what it's all about!!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •