ID unit 23 "general deer" questions

Hi guys and gals, I am planning deer hunt for my 10 yr old son to unit 23. The dates are 10/25 through 10/31(we only have my sons tag to fill). Hoping to backpack in and around C.B. Mountain in unit 23. The questions I have are......how is deer population there? Can we expect to see 25 to 40 deer a day or closer to 5 or 10. How's the cell service up there? What can we expect to see as for hunting pressure 3 to 5 miles in? Is a personal 4 point minimum asking too much for the area? Can we hope to see any elk or are we wasting our time? If I'm looking in the wrong area I am 100% open to advice or suggestions. This will be my sons first out of state hunt. My son will have elk and deer tags, should he have a wolf tag too or just use his elk tag? I of course have looked at data as far as harvest statistics go and see it seems like an decent hunt. I'm not looking for anyone's secret spot just a few thoughts or ideas from guys who have burned some boot leather on the ground there. Thank you in advance for your time!!!!

P.S. I do understand that this will not be a physically "easy" hunt for my young son. My two boys have logged many 12 mile days in the mountains and I want my son to earn his buck as they seem so much sweeter!!!!

Sincerely,

Jeremy

KurtR

WKR
I hunted 23 for elk last year all the bucks were little forkies but saw a bunch of does. From my limited experience the elk and deer were not in the same place but being my first time out there i would take that with a grain of salt and i wasnt looking for deer. The deer we saw were lower than the elk. We were there the 21-28 of october last year.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
ID unit 23 "general deer" questions

I have hunted 23 on and off for the last 6 years not sure of C.B. Mountain.

In general for 23. The elk population is really good. Deer tend to be a little harder to come by where I hunt. Typically, I find it easier to spot them as weather moves in. Lots of water/feed/and in most cases heavy timber. Being patient and watchful of transition points has helped me spot more deer in recent years than I have had in the past. Tend to see the smaller young bucks more early Oct right in with the does. As the rut gets closer big bucks will show up at lower elevations.

As for pressure....Expect people, even 3-5 miles in.

Also, spoke to biologist two weeks ago about the hard winter. They were not concerned at all with Elk or Deer mortality. Deer were "probably" hit harder in terms of fawn mortality but not nearly has bad as the Weiser units to the south.

There are wolves in 23. Please consider taking part of management if them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
D
Thanks guys for the replies so far........freebird1234, KurtR and Elkoholic30! Would you be okay if I PM'd you more questions about the exact area I was looking at? I was just trying not to post the exact location I was asking about in the event the some members already hunt the area so it wouldn't draw too much attention and potentially ruin someone's spot. Doesn't sound like it would matter too much tho. Thanks again for your time and help guys!

As far as wolf management goes, I've had a tag in my pocket for the last four seasons and will this year....guess I may have to even push my 10 yr old off the gun since I'm just acting solely as his guide this trip. LOL!

Jeremy

Thanks guys for the replies so far........freebird1234, KurtR and Elkoholic30! Would you be okay if I PM'd you more questions about the exact area I was looking at? I was just trying not to post the exact location I was asking about in the event the some members already hunt the area so it wouldn't draw too much attention and potentially ruin someone's spot. Doesn't sound like it would matter too much tho. Thanks again for your time and help guys!

As far as wolf management goes, I've had a tag in my pocket for the last four seasons and will this year....guess I may have to even push my 10 yr old off the gun since I'm just acting solely as his guide this trip. LOL!

Jeremy

Pm away. My experience is earlier and mostly elk hunting, but happy to chat if I can help.

KurtR

WKR
Ya pm me I will tell you were I saw the deer. Just have to post pics of your son when he gets the big one😀