Locating mature bucks during poor acorn crops years

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a Mule deer tag for SW CO in 2nd seasons. From what I've been hearing the unit I will be hunting has a poor acron crop this year.

My question is during poor acorn years what have others seen as far as what Mature bucks typically do and what will the preferred food source be. Will they continue to use the scrub oak due to the security cover it provides and browse on it as well as any other forage that is mixed in? Will they leave the oaks in search of better food sources?

I've got areas to check out throughout the unit in a variety of habitat types but have seen my best bucks in this unit in an area with scrub oaks, aspen (mix of young and mature), with some pines (mature). Will they continue to use locations as in past due to the mature bucks feeling safe in these areas?

Takem

WKR
We had a similar situation in 2nd season about six or seven years ago. One of our spots at the top of the oak brush zone had a fraction of the deer we normally see which we attributed to the lack of acorns. My brother still got a great buck on the opener in the oak brush. I ended up getting a good buck down low below the oak brush. It did seem like the majority of the deer blew through the oak brush that year but I wouldn't give up on it for mature bucks. I would stick to the areas you generally see bucks in but don't be afraid to check down low if that isn't panning out.

Here in Southern Ca, we've had a pretty long standing drought, with several years of low to no acorn production. Subsequently the main food for deer has been a scrub bush that developes a white bud that turns reddish brown. The area I hunt, where this occurs, is occupied by California mule deer, non-migrating. The deer pretty much stay on summer mode and summer feeding patterns, until the weather changes, or it cools down significantly. I thought I had some pictures of the particular bush, but was unable to them. I'll try to get a pic or two and post them up next time I get out, if you'd like.