Wyoming

HUNT JR

WKR
Wyoming solo safety

Headed to western Wyoming this week for a backcountry deer hunt. Couldn't find a partner to go so looking like a solo trip, you solo guys what do you use to keep in touch with the real world to let them know you are safe?

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
You could buy an InReach and a month subscription so you can text via satellite? I've used them in Alaska and they work great!

I bought the Inreach off amazon for a discount since Garmin bought them out and rolled out a new rev...So far it's been great for the time I have spent up in the Idaho Back country

topher89

WKR
Just a SPOT for me. My wife can get messages that essentially say 'OK' and my GPS coordinates. Not ideal if you and the people you are talking to have the need to have a conversation and share info.

SPOT falls into the "oh crap" category. Simple OK messages and an SOS button.

CLICKBANGBANG

Lil-Rokslider
I solo hunt most of the time. There is no cell reception where I'm headed this year, so I'll take a Garmin Inreach. I found after the cost of a few sat phone rentals, the same money wid buy the Inreach.

Stein

FNG
Inreach is awesome, the old Delorme units are cheap on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Inreach is a great way to go but on most mountain peaks out there you will also have good cell service as well. Just doesn't help you if you are down in the bottoms!

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
About no better cost efficient/quality product better than the in reach. If you get the new garmin explorer it would replace your gps as well

cell4soul

FNG
For anyone that has the Garmin InReach Explorer, I have been looking at this model online as I also plan on my first solo backpack hunt this year and like the idea of being able to "stay connected" in a bad situation. It doesn't look like this unit accepts micro sd cards, like OnX Maps offers, can anyone confirm this? It states the battery is rechargeable, but can double A's also be used (my Garmin Oregon works on either rechargeable or 2 double A's).

JP7

Lil-Rokslider
I can't answer your question as my InReach is an older model. However you can purchase the chip as a downloadable version that you sync to the device via USB cable (at least for gps you can or could a few years ago)