Appreciate all the great info; great weekend

mlucashr

FNG
Wanted to come on and say thanks for all the information on here it helped tremendously this weekend. My brother and I found time to get out to Idaho and put boots on the ground to scout for our rifle mule deer hunt in October. I've hunted Wyoming and I remember how big it seemed on the plains the first time. But the sawtooths bring a new meaning to big. We hiked in with 3 days of food, starting weight at the trailhead was 48 pounds with rifle and 2 liters of water strapped to the pack. We packed in 4.5 miles to a spot I scouted on onx maps and good earth. Basically going in blind looking for good habitat and no motorized access. Wound up in the middle of rutting elk for two days and saw 1 bow hunter. Saw a handful of deer. No big bucks, but elk and deer sign everywhere. Packed down the opposite end of the valley to see the rest of the goat trail on the way out. Took 3 hours to get out, feet definitely felt the downhill the next day.
All in all I am so stoked to get in there for a week in October. I'm sure we'll see more people during rifle season. But it should be a good hunt regardless of a tag filled.

I've lurked around here and asked some novice questions as many do. But wanted to thank all you guys for the vast amount of knowledge shared. I hit the trailhead with complete confidence and was able to enjoy the experience rather than worry about anything I needed or didn't need.

Thanks guys, and good luck this season!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
Hell yeah! Epic country back there.

Maybe I'll see you over there in October!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rokslide is all about helping others out when possible! Time in the field will yield rewards for you!