Mule Deer Meat Pole '17

bud

FNG
Starting meat pole to put up your kills with few details. Momma sent arrow,thru this one opening weekend. She's kinda my hero. Had her on trial for 35 years thinking about putting her on full time.
Shot it late in evening. We went in early morning and tracked into mountain side of blow down. Tbought we weren't going to find it couple times. Should have seen her face when I pointed and said what's that laying up there.
Have a great season and congratulations on the nice bucks taken so far.

Attachments

• 20170904_094205.jpg
    20170904_094205.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 842

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
I got really lucky with this guy yesterday. Hunting with a good friend whose quick thinking gave me a perfect 30 yard quartering towards me shot opportunity. The striker did a fine job and the deer piled up 60 yards from where he was shot.

I can't describe how lucky I feel especially for my first bow kill.

Good luck to everyone.

s6jZ6YW.jpg

Lineguy7

FNG
IMG_0214.JPG

My dad and I braved the heat, pollen, and bugs and got this nice western Kansas muley buck. Grossed 196

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

bud

FNG
Journeyman that's heck of an animal for a first bowkill, and good photo work. Looks like he was in the rough stuff. Funny how when the velvet comes off they go in the blowdown junk. Lineguy7 I was working in KC couple weeks ago and went to an archery range outside Olathe to shoot. Guy on Bowsite forum hooked me up. It was nice and free. Had 2 walk thru ranges set up but nobody using them. I shot both went thru the woods and fields..... 2 days later I was ate alive with chiggers..lol hadn't had any since a boy in KY.

Lineguy7

FNG
Is it just me or is my pic blurry I posted

Lineguy7

FNG
Not too bad of a buck. There are a couple others in that area that are as good, they just aren't cooperating.
Of course it doesn't matter what we hunt, Dad and I always have a good time.

Wow a lot better. Great buck. Did you get him with a muzzy or bow?

vanish

WKR
I think we're starting to figure out this mule deer hunting, at least in the unit we've chosen to hunt. I didn't draw this year but I was pack mule for my Dad. His second mule deer and biggest buck by miles. Hard to photo in the aspens.

uc

uc

OP
B

bud

FNG
Da%$# it! What are you going to do, strip the velvet off those hogs or try to preserve it.

Thanks everyone and congrats on some great bucks guys ! ;) As far as the velvet on my buck, it is staying on. I took very good care of the antlers and cape before it went to the taxidermist.

Not much of a story on this hunt. It has been a very tough archery season with the high temps and lack of bucks this year. I had seen seven legal bucks before I shot this one since the night before season started with only one buck being a decent 4x4 around 165". I snuck in on the 4x4 two days after we found him only to screw it up and blow him out without a shot. After that we never seen him again....

I went back down to the lower country after the rain on Wednesday and Thursday and the temps dropped a little bit to check a spot that usually holds a couple good bucks, but with the pond being dried up the bucks were not there this year. As we rounded a corner in the road my son said, "dad there's a deer"... First all he could see was a doe and fawn. Then he could see the buck, so I had them stay at the vehicle while I tried to make a stalk on him. He was in a big flat with not a lot of cover, but I managed to get in range of him and make a decent shot on him quartering away from me. He went around 110 yards and piled up about 40 yards from the road.

My wife and dad both got one shot each at smaller bucks earlier in the season and my dad took a decent turkey Friday before archery season ended. All in all a fun hunt, yet a frustrating one, but that's hunting.

Good lick to everyone else this year on there hunts.

Quinton

a11365106a5ce481bbe117af88c65f1e.jpg