Mule Deer Meat Pole '17

GregB

WKR
The early snow in Idaho made getting access and walking challenging in the higher elevations this year. Found this guy and another buck feeding along the hillside below the snowline as I was walking up. The hill was so steep I had to shoot him offhand fortunately he was at 100 yrds. Not the biggest buck in the woods but he fills the freezer nicely.
IMGP3615.jpg

My oldest with a pretty decent buck.

9932a6879edf3036c3ef6d28c3e45405.jpg

bbell

WKR
I have killed blacktails, but this was my first muley. The big boy eluded me and I filled my tag on this doe on my last day. Shooting a Lyman GPR .54 with 90gr Swiss fffg and .530 round ball with pillow ticking patch. Broke a shoulder and passed through. First BP kill. Really enjoy the Muzzleloader
IMG_2117.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have killed blacktails, but this was my first muley. The big boy eluded me and I filled my tag on this doe on my last day. Shooting a Lyman GPR .54 with 90gr Swiss fffg and .530 round ball with pillow ticking patch. Broke a shoulder and passed through. First BP kill. Really enjoy the Muzzleloader
View attachment 59977

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you have a clear picture does it have horns?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bbell

WKR
Nope no horns. I had 2.5 days to hunt so I took a doe on my last morning. I did put a stalk on a buck that was around 26” but got busted in the open timber

NDGuy

WKR
All I had was a doe tag due to me chickening out on that $700 MT tag. With my daughter being born this year in July, I didn't want to risk something happening and being strapped for cash or have her get sick before leaving my wife alone for 5 days. The other two guys in my group found success and we all tagged out. Wind was hell but was a fun trip! I will be back to get my first Muley buck next time.

Buck1.jpg

Buck2.jpg

Doe2.jpg

Scenery.jpg

Rainbow.jpg

71CJ5

FNG
Here is my heavy bodied 3x3 Colorado public land buck taken yesterday morning. This guy was a 4 mile 2000' vertical hike from the truck. A buddy and I started the climb at 5 am and were up where we wanted to be just before shooting light. We saw a single set of eyes via headlamp not far from where we stopped during our climb up. I confirmed it was deer with my binos but couldn't tell if it was a buck or doe. He went back that way at first light and I went the other. About 25 minutes later I glassed this guy working his way towards me thru some aspens while I was on the ridge above. I had to put some sneak moves on to not silhouette myself but he eventually reached a clearing 100 yards below me. This was my first harvest with my new Browning X-Bolt 6.5 Creedmore so I'm pretty happy!:D Due to my partners recent knee surgery, he was only able to pack out the backstraps and other small parts. I called the wife and she made the 1.5 hour hike to help pack out

hunt1.jpg

Wife loaded with a front and rear quarter
hunt3.jpg

Me with a front and rear quarter and the head. My initial day pack was right around 20 lbs with 100 oz. of water. I'd estimate this to be around 70 or so pounds. The Exo Mountain Gear 3500 handled it like a champ!
Attach12405_20171026_120648.jpg

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
Finally connected. Little story. All DIY public land

Hunted Montana archery season, got close but couldn't finish it on a big one. Tons of deer, no pressure. I did find a group of four good bucks. Here's a pic at 60x through a spotter. The one laying down is a monster.
ChDzEBO.jpg

Fast forward to October, now gun season. Now there is pressure, day one I had to go in a little farther to find deer. Finally found one of the bucks I was after from archery season. Bedded the deer, Made the stalk, got close, too close, made it to 50 yards and waited. Here's the result, my first mule deer.
mcyu0gR.jpg

Packed it out, hit a hotel. Still had a South Dakota archery tag, so headed back out. Hiked in away from the crowds, surprisingly there was more pressure in SD for archery than there was MT for rifle. Day 2 was the day the heavy winds and cold started, spotted a buck 100 yards from camp, bedded him and made the stalk. 35 yard shot followed by 2 follow ups and the deer was down, crazy seeing a deer suck up 3 arrows. No glamor shots, it was freezing, and my phone wouldn't turn on. Not a big buck by any means but I was happy with anything but a fawn with archery equipment.
0GCaGZY.jpg

xbJU9Jr.jpg

Great trip, one I won't forget.

Last edited: