My solo WY buck!

calico pig

Lil-Rokslider
Hey gang! So I found a solid buck this July, and lost him in August. Robby kept encouraging me that he wouldn't go far and just grind it out. I've been filming sheep hunts the last 2 weeks but finally got a small window to grab the bow and give it a shot. Glassed him up Thursday morning and after a 2 hour stalk he slipped through my fingers. Thursday evening I glassed him up again and moved in. After thinking he'd given me the slip again I was ranging some brush in the trees in case I were to bust him out I'd have a range reference. As soon as the range popped up I saw antler tines move... he was bedded right next to the brush. I stalked into 65 yards, and as he would look away from me I'd scoot myself out little by little so his vitals would be visible. After getting a clear shot at the vitals he finally looked straight away from me. I drew, anchored the string to the corner of my mouth, nose on the string, level, pin and sent an arrow down range. The arrow was like a laser beam in my mind going exactly where I'd put it. Got a pass through on both shoulders and he went 150 yards before tipping over dead. Snapped some photos before a monsoon decided to take over my packout. Still can't believe I pulled it off... a solo high country archery mule deer has been a dream of mine for a long time. Having a brief history with the buck just makes it that much more special!
28356a1901743a4784d2e40d69cf2d79.jpg
5d2783f0bf881f0924a8b07b81382f0b.jpg
9142d1ccc555de418907e3fbc304c86e.jpg
e4b3f691461709a13ed3f48c6a0c25a8.jpg
bd79458a6fb2bdf51b4ca867d1dbecf8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am very jealous, but happy for you at the same time :)

Awesome buck and awesome film. Congrats! Was this done on the A7SII or A6500?

All done with the A7sii. Thank you!

Awesome! We just picked up the A6500 for all of our stuff with the 18-105 F4 to try and keep the bulk of it down. We are really liking it so far! We are trying to get a plan together to go High Country Archery in Wyoming next year much like you did. I'm having a tough time finding spots that aren't Wilderness though with the "above Timberline" aspect that we want.

OP
Jordan Budd

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome! We just picked up the A6500 for all of our stuff with the 18-105 F4 to try and keep the bulk of it down. We are really liking it so far! We are trying to get a plan together to go High Country Archery in Wyoming next year much like you did. I'm having a tough time finding spots that aren't Wilderness though with the "above Timberline" aspect that we want.

True that I know the struggle! That A6500 will do just about everything that A7 will do with exception of the low light performance and sensor size.

True that I know the struggle! That A6500 will do just about everything that A7 will do with exception of the low light performance and sensor size.

That's pretty much what I gathered when we decided on that camera. That 18-105 is working out to be great also for solo stuff especially since you can zoom it with a remote! Plus with their Clear Image Zoom it's essentially a 210 so more than enough for bowhunting. I just wish it was a 2.8 instead of a 4.