Henry's management tag

Looking for any info on the Henry mountains management deer hunt (any weapon). I'm an archery hunter in northern Utah, I've never stepped foot on the Henry's.
My sister just got offered a turned in management tag. I just don't know what to expect, the Internet makes it seem like a fairy tale. What can we expect to find? Best approach to hunting the unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Friend had a tag last year, he found a buck to take and it was a decent one! To hunt in that unit would be a real pleasure, no matter what tag you had in your hand. You'll likely see some really big deer... Good luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
This year they increased the number of management tags they issued. Something to be aware of because you might not be able to pass bucks and have them still around if you change your mind later like in years past.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You can expect to see some giant bucks!! Congrats on a great experience. There are some good management bucks but be sure to look them over closely to be sure it's a 3pt or less.

Congrats on a great tag. i was down there 2 years ago on the regular rifle deer hunt, we saw a few bruiser management bucks around the horn and Mount Pennell. Get some quality glass to identify that big 3x.

OP
Broken Compass
I’m getting mixed advice on where to stay. Someone who supposedly knows it well says to stay in hanksville and commute everyday. Because the roads can be impassable by anything but ATV. Others say that would be a waste of time driving, just stay on the mountain.
I won’t have time to get there and check it out for ourselves beforehand.
Any advice from anyone with first hand knowledge would be great!

Lots and lots of places to camp. I would be on the side of camp out, its not a super short drive back and forth to Hanksville. I have gone down there in January and February with zero problems.

I would camp. It can be a long day in day out commute. Eagle Bench has several good places. Also around the horn towards Mount Pennel would be good as well.

OP
Broken Compass
Yeah, we’ve decided to pull our trailer in there. Thanks