Idaho general season dates

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
If you had some pre scouted bucks found, but nothing huge. Would you hunt the first week or the second week of the season?

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you had a good feeling they were there, I would hunt the first week. But hey, I personally would hunt both weeks!

Randy

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Slayer...after the die off we had this last Winter, if I had two shooters scouted I would be on them as soon as I could. Maybe get lucky and cross a bigger buck, but by the second week of the season the big boys, if there are any, will be pressured into oblivion. Won't see them again until they are on Winter range.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
I am seeing 40%less animals this season. Mountains are quiet not s lot of elk and the deer are few and far between. One more winter like last and we will be done for in south central ID. If you got a shooter opening day all day.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

OP
Pistolpete28

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
Ok thanks for the advice guys. I'll stick to the original plan and hunt the first week.

I have had a hard time finding bucks. Ive seen crap loads of elk.... they seem to be doing great. If I knew where a good buck was I would be there opening morning.

Ryan2782

FNG
Curious, if you had bucks scouted... I'm assuming there was one shooter in the group you scouted which prompted the original question. Why would you wait a couple weeks to hunt after season opens versus going out opening day or week. All assuming you had available time for either or. Regardless of the previous years weather and winter kill/survival. My assumption, and it's started this year already, mountain weather is unpredictable in Idaho general season, and could have a somewhat early migration start. There are other things to consider, archery elk, early season muzzle loader, and predators, etc that could push them to a different drainage over or 10 miles away. What would be a benefit to waiting a couple weeks into season? I'm not a big buck hunter or mule deer hunter but I am getting into it this year. My two cents would be if you were happy with one of the bucks go get him as the earliest convenience before it gets spooked or another hunter if you wait.

Any insight would be great, as I said I'm new to mule deer.