WY Mule Deer Quest

Matthews

FNG
So in finishing up research prior to our hunt, which is coming up soon, I figured I would see if I could strike up a conversation on the topic here. First some background and info. Four Central Pa guys heading to Wyoming for their first mule deer rifle hunt and second western hunt. Hunting the west side of the Big Horns with a plan for hunting unit 50. The plan is to get there two days before season opens and split into groups of two to scout different areas. Plan to hunt till close of season.

What I've come to understand is that this time of year it would be better to glass early morning/ late evening and check down in the thick nasty cover. According to the biologist for the area we were told to focus on mountain mahogany as a food source. If willing, is there anything else anyone would like to add or share regarding mule deer in general, hunting them, or things to avoid?

Not sure how I missed this but I'm also in the process of reading Robby Denning's blog. Also, not looking for a giant buck but something decent, possibly respectable, if anyone has any pictures of a buck that would fall into this category to compare that would be awesome too. Thanks for you time everyone.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would find an area and glass. Try to find an "out of the way" canyon that looks deery to you and be patient. Glass across a canyon so you can look into the trees and clearings. If you find a buck over there, then move in for the shot or at least sneak into the area where you can get a shot and wait him out. That time of year they call it the October lull because there's just not a ton of activity, but if your patient and you trust your glass you will pick up want guys/gals just walking around would never see. Pay attention to tracks as well for a big buck track that may be by himself. Like Robby says, the tracks don't lie!

OP
Matthews

Matthews

FNG
Thanks Jordan. That's more or less the plan of attack I've come up with for the hunt. Was also have been told to keep in mind that snow may affect them but will have to wait see what the forecast is closer to the time of the hunt. There's a lot of lower laying BLM land as well but as of right now we're mainly focusing on the high country doing as you described. May take part of a scouting day looking at the BLM but undecided at this point in time. Also, trying to figure out what impact the elk hunters have on them as well.