Dawn to Dusk - the 2017 deer story.

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
If you want to read the play by play version, jump further down. The short version is, shot a mule deer, pics below.

LONG VERSION..

I missed the first beginning of the season as I did my bi annual pilgrimage to Sweden to see friends and family. Aside from missing the opener, this also meant I burned my vacation days. To make things even more challenging, my wife works Saturdays. After a couple of Sundays with blown stalks due to swirling wind, the final weekend of season arrived. I managed to find a babysitter to help cover for me on saturday and ventured to the mountains.

I made it to my glassing spot early enough that I took a nap waiting for daylight. My expectations were low, each outing I’d seen fewer and fewer bucks. This, coupled with the unusual heat put extra pressure on finding something to pursue in the first 30 minutes of daylight, deer bedded faster than dracula. As the sun crept up, the grid search began. Despite wanting to panic glass at tennis spectator pace, I kept my composure. After 10 minutes, I picked out a deer feeding behind some pines. It was far away where I couldn’t see any antlers but based on the location and body size, I was pretty sure it would be a buck. I waited until he was in a decent size opening and made the switch to the spotter. (The weekend prior I lost track of a buck when switching to the spotter..)

Sure enough, he was a buck and with a close to empty freezer, that fulfilled the only size requirement I had. He was the first hard horned deer I’d seen this season and given how close he was to the timber, I worried he would disappear before I could see him bed. As he started dropping elevation my fears set in, he was on a straight-line to the thick stuff. But as soon as he hit the shadows on the steep slope, he bedded down. I could barely see him through the spotter given the angle. It took an ear flick or head move for me to reconfirm he was still there.

The sun would hit him sooner than later and with fear of loosing sight of him altogether, I decided to move to get a better vantage point of the area he was in. I zipped along the ridge found a spot that looked better and sat down. After some stressful minutes behind the spotter I was able to relocate him again, up and feeding, then disappear. After some in and out behind the timber and a couple of stressful glassing spot relocations, I was able to relocate him just as he was kicking a bed right behind a big boulder. This had to be his bed for the day.. I couldn’t see exactly where he bedded but took some waypoints, photos and started the trek to get around to him. At this point, the time was 10.30am.

IMG_2086.jpg
Last time I saw him feeding.

Around 2.5 hours later, I dropped my pack and boots. Different than other days I’d hunted, there were clouds and a while there was barely any wind, it was pretty steady.

I made my way towards where I thought he’d bedded. When I got close, I sat down, glassed, moved one foot, glassed etc. The terrain had a ton of features but he was bedded facing the direction I was coming from and I wanted to make sure I saw him first. As I was sitting contemplating where he could be, I see antler tips move in front of a rock formation below me. Shortly thereafter, he feeds out, the rangerfinder said 60 yards but he is facing away from me. At this point, the wind is almost calm and I can hear every bite he takes. After feeding for a couple of minutes, he starts raking the bushes. I seize the opportunity and scoot out of sight of him, tip toe around a knoll to get a broadside angle. As I peak around the corner, he’s moved. I range all the openings and wait. Nothing. Minutes go by and I’m sure he hasn’t left the area as I’d have heard somethig. I start to suspect he is bedded again and sit down. All of a sudden antler tips pop up again and step by step, he feeds into an opening I had ranged, perfectly broadside. I draw, anchor, take my sweet time to settle in, split the 40/50 pins AND SEND THE ARROW WAY OVER HIS BACK.

I instantly knew my mistake, he was WAY closer than 45 as the bush he was in front of was at 37. While waiting, I’d mixed up the distances.. While he runs away, I’m deflated, this was easily the best shot opportunity I’ve had in my life, I could have ranged and re-ranged several times but “thought” I had the distance on lock. Anyway, he stops at 80 yards and looks back. I’m holding out my bow to cover my face and have another arrow nocked. Too far to shoot. But low and behold, he turns around and starts walking back the way he came from. As soon as I start thinking I’ll get another opportunity in the opening, he stops. He is standing still so long my bow arm starts shaking. I sneak my hand up, range him at 60, dial, draw back as he looks away and shoot again. I can’t see the hit but hear a loud twack. He runs downhill, disappears behind some trees, when I see him again, he is limping bad and wobbles a bit, it almost looks like he’ll tip over. I can see the what would have been the exit side but I can’t see any blood in the binoculars. As he moves out of sight, I listen for several minutes but can’t hear as much as a twig snap.

As I sneak back to my boots and pack, doubt of how good of a hit it was sets in, between the limp and the sound of the hit, my mind starts to wander. Around 3600 long seconds later (around 3pm), I make my way down to where he stood. I can clearly see his tracks and start looking for sign. A little drop 5 yards down the path he ran is followed by the broke off arrow. Based on the blood, I’d gotten about 15 inches of penetration which made me feel better.

IMG_2097.jpg

The blood trail was fairly sparse but I take my time and continue to find leads. At times, I can walk and follow it, but more often than not, I end up circling the dark timber on hands and knees to find clues. Several times, I get really concerned only to find hope in the form of a speck of blood minutes later. It’s an emotional rollercoaster on repeat.

IMG_2103.jpg
This would be an above average one.

Additionally, the clouds are getting darker and darker and fear of rain starts to set in, and with that came the stress. I had several hours of daylight left, but even a light rain would make a challenging blood trail really tough..

The trail takes me through some nasty terrain up to a bench where I find a bed. With views covering his backtrail, I’m fairly certain he’s seen me and moved off. What’s more concerning is the tiny amount of blood in the bed. Barely visible in the picture.

FullSizeRender 6.jpg

continued below..

Attachments

• IMG_2086.jpg
    IMG_2086.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 290

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Loving the story so far. Left me hanging on a nail biter hopefully it'll all work out

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Ok... here is part 2..

Now I’m tracking him in shale, between the blood and tracks, I’m moving at a decent speed but after a couple hundred yards, I loose track again, it looks like he’s connected with a well used trail but I can’t find any blood. As I crest a little knoll during my circling, he jumps up and wobbles down the steep field. It looks like he’s had a keg or two to drink..

With the dark clouds closing in, I decide to run after him when he disappears out of sight. The terrain is more open and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of where he ends up. As I round a little stand of jackpines I spot him 200 yards below me, he's moving slow. He beds down in the wide open and I tip toe along the trail with an arrow nocked. Once again, he is facing away from me. As I get to 70 yards, he gets up, only to bed down after 20 yards. I decide it’s too noisy to move in with boots and drop my pack and slip on some socks. The rain starts to drizzle as I slowly circle around a couple of trees to cut the distance out of his sight. He gets up again, moves further down and disappears in a little gully. I climb up on a tall rock, settle the binoculars and start scanning franticly. After some back and forth, I pick up a couple of inches of his tines, he’s bedded again...

I drop down to the trail and move in to 50 yards but decide to stop. I’d need to get within 10-15 yards of him to get a shot and decide it’s too risky. I sit and wait, rain is trickling down... Minutes go by and I’m anxiously looking at the watch, checking the wind and thinking of plan A, B, C, D. Just before 6pm, he stands up again, takes a few steps up the bank of the gully. I range him at 60 yards and he’s facing away from me, standing on the steep bank. I aim and send the arrow and it looks like a good hit considering the angle, the arrow enters right by his spine. At the impact, he staggers, falls into some jack pines and tumbles down the slope. But just as I start thinking it’s finally over, he tries to get up. With a five arrow quiver and one arrow eqiupped wiht a bird head. I'm sitting in the wide open, in direct sight of him and I have one more arrow to go..

He’s body is covered by the small pine brush, and, he’s 70 yards out. If he makes it 15 yards up the bank, he’d be out of sight. I anxiously watch him in the binoculars, he’s hurting bad and I can hear his raspy breathing despite the steady drizzle. One part of me is excited that I found him, the other one is sick that he is still alive. Every now and then, he tries to get up and I draw my bow. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have the energy. After a couple of attempts, I decide to make my way towards him when he “nods off”. As I get to 50 yards, he’s kicked a little opening in the pines and my final arrow goes airborne, navigates the brush hole and ends the ordeal. As I walk up to him, the time is 6.48pm, almost 12 hours after spotting him.

FullSizeRender 10.jpg

I burn a lot of energy getting him out of the hole he’s in. Take some quick photos and get to work. After processing him, I start packing out in the dark. Navigating steep unknown terrain in the dark really sucks. I get cliffed out several times and eventually end up climbing down a chute. My headlamp picks up the tail lights on my truck just before midnight. After 4 hours of rest, I head back for the final load as temps were forecasted to be in the 70s and I was worried about the meat.

FullSizeRender 8.jpg

Things I learned this hunt/season:
- No matter what you think, the wind will school you, and the deer.
- Carry an extra broadhead...
- Range again, and again if there is time.
- Consider the shot an extra time before you take it. Had I lost this deer, I would have said, “you shouldn’t have taken that shot.” Just because it worked out this time, doesn’t mean it will next.
- The search for the perfect bino harness will likely never end.
- Never give up blood trailing.
- Glassing mid day shadows for deer requires a ton of focus and persistence, especially in timber patches, but it pays off. A slight difference in glassing angle makes a huge difference. Stop often, pick things apart again, and again, and again..
- I carry my stalking socks in a yellow bag and hang it in a tree/hiking pole when I drop the pack. Helps a ton.
- Use knee high wader socks to stalk in, much more quiet than pants.
- Take more photos.
- Explore setting up lightweight pulley systems using paracord. Had this been an elk, I doubt I would have gotten him out of the hole.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
4fcc98bbb605e6959590ebda7df84a3c.jpg

Hopefully this is better quality.

colersu22

WKR
Man that anticipation was killing me with that 6 hour break, thanks for sharing your hunt.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Nice buck man!

Trying to finish off a wounded animal sucks while in the moment but sense of accomplishment is pretty overwhelming once you've finished the job. Not to mention solo! Nice work!

Way to fight through the adversity! Congratulations on a well earned buck! Thanks for sharing your story.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
Ok... here is part 2..

Now I’m tracking him in shale, between the blood and tracks, I’m moving at a decent speed but after a couple hundred yards, I loose track again, it looks like he’s connected with a well used trail but I can’t find any blood. As I crest a little knoll during my circling, he jumps up and wobbles down the steep field. It looks like he’s had a keg or two to drink..

With the dark clouds closing in, I decide to run after him when he disappears out of sight. The terrain is more open and I'm hoping to get a glimpse of where he ends up. As I round a little stand of jackpines I spot him 200 yards below me, he's moving slow. He beds down in the wide open and I tip toe along the trail with an arrow nocked. Once again, he is facing away from me. As I get to 70 yards, he gets up, only to bed down after 20 yards. I decide it’s too noisy to move in with boots and drop my pack and slip on some socks. The rain starts to drizzle as I slowly circle around a couple of trees to cut the distance out of his sight. He gets up again, moves further down and disappears in a little gully. I climb up on a tall rock, settle the binoculars and start scanning franticly. After some back and forth, I pick up a couple of inches of his tines, he’s bedded again...

I drop down to the trail and move in to 50 yards but decide to stop. I’d need to get within 10-15 yards of him to get a shot and decide it’s too risky. I sit and wait, rain is trickling down... Minutes go by and I’m anxiously looking at the watch, checking the wind and thinking of plan A, B, C, D. Just before 6pm, he stands up again, takes a few steps up the bank of the gully. I range him at 60 yards and he’s facing away from me, standing on the steep bank. I aim and send the arrow and it looks like a good hit considering the angle, the arrow enters right by his spine. At the impact, he staggers, falls into some jack pines and tumbles down the slope. But just as I start thinking it’s finally over, he tries to get up. With a five arrow quiver and one arrow eqiupped wiht a bird head. I'm sitting in the wide open, in direct sight of him and I have one more arrow to go..

He’s body is covered by the small pine brush, and, he’s 70 yards out. If he makes it 15 yards up the bank, he’d be out of sight. I anxiously watch him in the binoculars, he’s hurting bad and I can hear his raspy breathing despite the steady drizzle. One part of me is excited that I found him, the other one is sick that he is still alive. Every now and then, he tries to get up and I draw my bow. Fortunately, he doesn't seem to have the energy. After a couple of attempts, I decide to make my way towards him when he “nods off”. As I get to 50 yards, he’s kicked a little opening in the pines and my final arrow goes airborne, navigates the brush hole and ends the ordeal. As I walk up to him, the time is 6.48pm, almost 12 hours after spotting him.

View attachment 57957

I burn a lot of energy getting him out of the hole he’s in. Take some quick photos and get to work. After processing him, I start packing out in the dark. Navigating steep unknown terrain in the dark really sucks. I get cliffed out several times and eventually end up climbing down a chute. My headlamp picks up the tail lights on my truck just before midnight. After 4 hours of rest, I head back for the final load as temps were forecasted to be in the 70s and I was worried about the meat.

View attachment 57956

Things I learned this hunt/season:
- No matter what you think, the wind will school you, and the deer.
- Carry an extra broadhead...
- Range again, and again if there is time.
- Consider the shot an extra time before you take it. Had I lost this deer, I would have said, “you shouldn’t have taken that shot.” Just because it worked out this time, doesn’t mean it will next.
- The search for the perfect bino harness will likely never end.
- Never give up blood trailing.
- Glassing mid day shadows for deer requires a ton of focus and persistence, especially in timber patches, but it pays off. A slight difference in glassing angle makes a huge difference. Stop often, pick things apart again, and again, and again..
- I carry my stalking socks in a yellow bag and hang it in a tree/hiking pole when I drop the pack. Helps a ton.
- Use knee high wader socks to stalk in, much more quiet than pants.
- Take more photos.
- Explore setting up lightweight pulley systems using paracord. Had this been an elk, I doubt I would have gotten him out of the hole.

So cool, congratulations!! I second the "take more photos".... something I try and stress to everyone. Aside from the memories that's all you have.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Nice read. Glad it worked out in the end and also was a learning point. Is that a really big 2x2? Can't tell if there are forks in the photo, big body for sure.

Not having hunting archery yet it never occurred to me the bow up in the air breaks up the hunters face, makes sense though.

It's always a gut check when you hit one and they don't just tip over. Good work on following up and congratulations on the hard earned warrior of a buck.

As far as a pulley system, learning to build a simple 3:1 mechanical advantage can save you tons of work. I respectfully submit my lovely artwork on this subject without a watermark. Please do not print these off any larger than 4'x6' for sale without prior written permission. :)

All you need is a rope, a pair of pulleys, and a bit of cordage for an anchor and a prussik.

Attachments

• IMG_4901.JPG
    IMG_4901.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 83
OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
Nice read. Glad it worked out in the end and also was a learning point. Is that a really big 2x2? Can't tell if there are forks in the photo, big body for sure.

Not having hunting archery yet it never occurred to me the bow up in the air breaks up the hunters face, makes sense though.

Thanks! Yeah, he's a pretty wide 2x2, pretty unique buck.

OP
Timberninja

Timberninja

Lil-Rokslider
It's always a gut check when you hit one and they don't just tip over. Good work on following up and congratulations on the hard earned warrior of a buck.

As far as a pulley system, learning to build a simple 3:1 mechanical advantage can save you tons of work. I respectfully submit my lovely artwork on this subject without a watermark. Please do not print these off any larger than 4'x6' for sale without prior written permission. :)

All you need is a rope, a pair of pulleys, and a bit of cordage for an anchor and a prussik.

Thanks so much, that is a great illustration!! Yeah, will def set something like this up for the future.