Best OTC Mule Deer State

Hello All,

I am planning a trip for hopefully 2018 but with a bear hunt and trip to Canada fishing already in the works for 2018 it may be pushed to 2019.

In your opinion what is the best state for mule deer with over the counter tags and why? Consider availability to public ground, abundance of mule deer, etc.

I am in no way asking for your best location, just general state. ( Don't get me wrong I would appreciate more info than that but really looking to narrow a state down at this time!)

Thanks!

KHNC

WKR
There arent any good OTC states for Mule deer that i have ever encountered. Maybe Idaho, if you can stand to walk sidehill all week long. You would be far better off accumulating pref points for a good state.

PNWTO

Lil-Rokslider
I know it isn't a "destination" state for hunting but WA has them if you are willing to put in the time and vertical miles.

That said, I would start with Idaho.

The real question is what do you consider good?

Nebraska archery is
Idaho has OTC
Wyoming has general areas you draw with no points i
Colorado has areas you can draw with 0 points (a lot of archery)
As said previously there are no mule deer in arizona hemce the late archery otc

Plenty of options just depends what you want and what time of year and with what weapon

Wojo14

WKR
I too am think mule deer for my Western back country adventures in 2018.
I have been looking at SD/Blackhills. Seams like their archery deer tag is almost a sure bet.
I read that early/mid nov is best time.
~Wojo

slick

WKR
Wojo if that's the case, buy a West River Archery deer. Unlimited NR for $286..License # ARD- WR1. Don't hunt the hills if you're searching for mule deer. Go out along the Cheyenne somewhere. Hills have more whitetail deer in them than trees.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider
As has been already stated, there are no mule deer in AZ. Certainly not on public land in archery otc units.

Attachments

• IMG_2647.jpg
    IMG_2647.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 342

Wojo14

WKR
So, you have this eastern guy who wants to start having some western adventures hunting Mulies. Looking for a state that has easily obtainable archery tags. Nice landscape, public land, and good Mule #’s. Nice to be able to “Back Country “ It and just camp out where he would hunt.
Would be nice to keep the state within tolerable driving range. 20 hours/max.
SD, NB, eastern CO...?
Sorry to highjack this tread...
~Wojo

Brendan

WKR
It's not about the state, it's about the work you put in to prepare. Throw a dart at any place mentioned above, and get on it.

slick

WKR
So, you have this eastern guy who wants to start having some western adventures hunting Mulies. Looking for a state that has easily obtainable archery tags. Nice landscape, public land, and good Mule #’s. Nice to be able to “Back Country “ It and just camp out where he would hunt.
Would be nice to keep the state within tolerable driving range. 20 hours/max.
SD, NB, eastern CO...?
Sorry to highjack this tread...
~Wojo

Edit: Wojo, after looking through your posts, you have routinely asked the same thing. You have been given good advice. Nothing else anyone can do for you. Pick a spot and go for it.

As for the original poster.. maybe give us more of what you're looking for. Which weapon? What season? Are you looking for trophy potential, success rates, deer densities, etc?

Last edited:

RoJo

WKR
Another example of the kind of mule deer that do not exist in AZ. ;)

37632294556_d12fed1068_c.jpg

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
It's not about the state, it's about the work you put in to prepare. Throw a dart at any place mentioned above, and get on it.

There you go, that's all you need to know. The "worst" state could provide the best opportunity with that thinking. Now if you gotta have a 200", then nowhere is "good".