ME Mule Deer

Ok guys, I'm going to Nebraska for the OTC Mulie hunt in the NW region, Pine Ridge. I'm also looking at Mckelvie National Forrest near Valentine. I'm trying to decide which one will be best, any thoughts? I want to hike far away from people and get on a gassing knob and see what is out there. I've already plotted some potential spots, but I'm sure if I could find them anyone could.

Note I've never hinted mile deer. I hinted antelope last year in WY though and was successful. I saw many many mule deer I could've got in on , so hopefully I can do the same in NE!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I'll post up here when I'm not on my phone. Im a Nebraskan that Muley hunts every year.

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
I think you could have good luck either place, but since you mentioned getting away from people I would recommend the Pine Ridge unit. I've got a buddy that has a ranch in the Pine Ridge unit and I have seen some nice deer when I've been out there coyote hunting. While I haven't been to McKelvie to hunt, I've heard that there can be quite a few people there. I know that Halsey (south of McKelvie) is always crazy during rifle season.

I'm no expert but since you said you've never hunted mule deer here is some advice:

-on public land, hike as far off the beaten path you are willing to pack a deer out. Lots of people won't stray far from a road.
-make sure you take extra time glassing, you would be surprised how well these deer blend in with just grass.
-hunt all day. lots of guys I know don't hunt midday. I've shot some of my nicest deer during the middle of the day.
-don't rush your shot. if you bust a muley that is a shooter, get ready and wait. Typically they will stop and look before disappearing.

A lot of the best hunting I find is going along hilltops and checking "bowls" for deer and glassing. Most of the big bucks seem to be up high, giving them a lot of different options for an out.

This is the buck I got last year, shot him in the middle of the day while he was getting some sun with a doe.

c315e1b6f5828a84b1d5eedb41bc336a.jpg

OP
nicktzenevrakis
Thank you for all the info, extremely helpful. I was a little upset with how my Antelope turned out last year in section 17 (Gillette WY) due to misleading maps and lack of public access. Any insight or helpful advice for locating access roads? We will be running On X hunt apps and some GPS chips, but that doesn't always get you there. How is cell service in the NW Pine Ridge area? Does anyone run US Cellular out there?

KJH

WKR
I agree with RustyN... Stay away from McKelvie and focus on the Pine Ridge area.

Depending on the area phone service could be fine or just non-existent. Plan on non-existent.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
The pine ridge area was hit very hard by the EHD outbreak several years ago, and some parts were also decimated by fires. But, some time has passed since both of those events. I chase muley's and pronghorn in the Sandhills every year, have thought of spending some time in the ridge to see if it has bounced back yet or not.

Wojo14

WKR
How is Pine Ridge area for Archery? Is it too open? Is it spot and stock-able?
Able to camp on it?
~Wojo

Last edited:
OP
nicktzenevrakis
I got some invaluable information from another member via PM about Pine Ridge and the Sandhills, and both are decent. I've also talked to the Biologist that covers Mckelvie, awesome dude, and he gave me an update on that status of the heard there. Mckelvie has a very low harvest per acre as compared to Pine Ridge, Bessy, or even Valentine. We will likely be doing some small game hunting for grouse while we're out there, so the Sandhills is a likely option.

morgan1h

Lil-Rokslider
Ya, if your into sharptail grouse, you couldn't be better than the sandhills. I love the areas and it can be a great experience. If you work hard and hunt smart, you can make it happen.
Just to throw out the other perspective though, it should be noted that Nebraska Game and Parks manages for opportunity over quality. I'd like to see the public land areas (or at least one) with their own tag quota systems, managed like a limited draw unit. You can pretty much count on all larger areas of public land to be overhunted and blasted out during rifle season. They'll all have a generally lower age class and higher buck to do ratio. Its disappointing, because you can see the potential when looking at quality private ranches who manage wildlife well. But Nebraska Game and Parks manages wildlife as a fundraiser and gives little consideration to quality of hunt. So private land owners who pick up that management slack can offer outstanding experiences, while public land areas have a (generally) low age class of animals. I keep hunting public land hard for those animals that have slipped through, and because its local to me. If I was coming from out of state though, I would do what I could to get private land access, as its really a stark contrast between public and private. Moreso than what I've experienced in more western states.

Last edited:
OP
nicktzenevrakis
Understandable. There will always be debate over management strategies. I, like most people, enjoy the thrill of a hunt for the one giant in the 100k acre piece of land that is open to the public. It challenges me to be the best I can. However, I do agree with the strategy that gives most opportunity, even at the sacrifice of a popular age structure that produces monster Mule Deer. To me, it is about the hunt. It's about everything leading up to it. Yes, I want a big one, but that doesn't mean I will not be happy with a whitetail doe at the end of the trip. It's about friends/family, good time, making memories, honing in my spot/stalk skills, and filling the freezer. These public lands are there for all Americans to enjoy, and I couldn't be happier to share them with anyone else who has the same passion for hunting. I'm not a big proponent of leasing private ground, nor do I have the money to do so. I will be a public land hunter as long as it is ours.

Let me know how Pine Ridge looks this year, I was looking forward to going out there and getting into some forest/mountain type terrain, but we had a change of heart. Hopefully we all have a successful year!

Best of luck

Wojo14

WKR
“ Yes, I want a big one, but that doesn't mean I will not be happy with a whitetail doe at the end of the trip. It's about friends/family, good time, making memories, honing in my spot/stalk skills, and filling the freezer. These public lands are there for all Americans to enjoy”

Well said. Exactly how I feel.
I would be interested to here about the grouse there too!
I was in canada hunting moose last sept. Grouse all over. I had a blast killing them with my longbow and eating them for dinner.
~Wojo

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
“ Yes, I want a big one, but that doesn't mean I will not be happy with a whitetail doe at the end of the trip. It's about friends/family, good time, making memories, honing in my spot/stalk skills, and filling the freezer. These public lands are there for all Americans to enjoy”

Well said. Exactly how I feel.
I would be interested to here about the grouse there too!
I was in canada hunting moose last sept. Grouse all over. I had a blast killing them with my longbow and eating them for dinner.
~Wojo

There are a lot of grouse where I hunt in the sandhills, but they don't hold for long. Not much in the way of trees either, unless you are saying you shoot them on the fly with your longbow.

OP
nicktzenevrakis
I'll definitely report on what I find for grouse. If the Deer hunt goes well and is somewhat speedy, I will have more time to actually go after grouse. Otherwise I will just keep in mind the ones I scare walking through the hills.