Idaho Mule Deer Winter Kill

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've seen much fewer bucks and fewer deer overall. Very few bucks over 3 years old. Did see three in the 4+ range though, but that's down from previous years. I'd say 2016 was our peak, just like 2007, 1991, and so on, as it's likely always been in modern times- up & down.

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
I've seen much fewer bucks and fewer deer overall. Very few bucks over 3 years old. Did see three in the 4+ range though, but that's down from previous years. I'd say 2016 was our peak, just like 2007, 1991, and so on, as it's likely always been in modern times- up & down.
Yessir.
Heck when all else fails...we could just go hunting and see what happens. Beats whackin away at a keyboard...

Yessir.
Heck when all else fails...we could just go hunting and see what happens. Beats whackin away at a keyboard...

Totally agree. I can hunt until the 31st before heading back to Nevada, so it will be interesting to see what type of bucks start showing up those last few days.

excaliber

WKR
We're hunting 39 and we have been seeing deer everywhere we looked. The numbers may be down but we are seeing just as many deer and more sign than the last couple years. I have not seen anything I'd shoot yet but there are plenty of smaller bucks around. 39 is a tough unit. There is so much big country that looks like it would be full of deer but it isn't.
Deer are moving quickly out of the higher country from what we've seen.

Evancold

FNG
I was in 76 for 8 days. Seen a total of 3 bucks the whole trip. A lot of does and fawns but very few bucks, I also have noticed they already seem to be lower already. Thinking they were still up high I went above 8400 ft and spent some time, and no sign at all.

mainman38

FNG
I spent two days in 39 this last weekend and I cant believe the amout of people we saw. I did not see one but but probably 60 plus does and a majority of them had yearlings with them. with a little more weather Im confident they will start moving out of the high country adn start showing up in their transitions areas later this week just like they always do.

FreeRange

WKR
Spent 4 days in central idaho, area that supposedly got hit pretty hard. Saw over 25 does, fair numbers of fawns which was reassuring. Saw 5 bucks, 3 in the 1.5 yr range two slightly older, just one being a small 4 pt rest were smaller. Lots of elk sign but not many elk seen. Found a number of elk carcasses that were probably winter killed in what I would consider a transition/wintering area. Overall better than I would have expected for an area that gets hit really hard by hunters.

Gobbler36

WKR
get on maps and do research

ive seen much fewer deer than last year, even driving onn a few highways where i would 30-50 does and fawn i have only seen a handful this year

mike.adams.467

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 7 days deer hunting in Island Park and saw 3 bucks, 2 2-points and a 2x3. Several days, including today, I never saw a deer track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brushape

WKR
Just finished my last hunt of seven days straight morning and evening in 36b hiking about 6-10 miles everyday and lots of glassing I saw 2 bucks total and killed this guy yesterday morning. I don't think I've honestly ever hunted so hard and seen soo little game with several days of seeing zero deer at all. I did see elk almost every day with shot opportunities on legal spikes three times. Not what I drove 800 miles for but still a great time and some beautiful scenery and his meat will be enjoyed
0eaa13ef4ce5636ecf94d66d951b0e93.jpg

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Just finished my last hunt of seven days straight morning and evening in 36b hiking about 6-10 miles everyday and lots of glassing I saw 2 bucks total and killed this guy yesterday morning. I don't think I've honestly ever hunted so hard and seen soo little game with several days of seeing zero deer at all. I did see elk almost every day with shot opportunities on legal spikes three times. Not what I drove 800 miles for but still a great time and some beautiful scenery and his meat will be enjoyed
0eaa13ef4ce5636ecf94d66d951b0e93.jpg

What a toad

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

MtnMuley

WKR
Definately tough hunting this year, brushape. Over the last week we've spent daylight til dark behind the glass and have seen what we figure is a solid 70% less deer. Definately don't need another winter like last.

mlucashr

FNG
We were in Idaho Monday-Wednesday last week. Hiked in 5 miles didn’t see anyone but a pack string coming out with the biggest elk rack I’ve ever seen. We saw a lot of deer in the basin we were hunting. 2 good 4 point. One I harvested. Probably 30 does and 10 fawns/year old bucks. No elk for us but Saw a lot during scouting weekend after Labor Day. First time I’ve been to Idaho so I’m not sure how many deer I was supposed to see. However, locally in Oregon reports are pretty grim on numbers being seen or harvested.

GregB

WKR
We saw several spikes and forkies this last week along with a big 3 point and 2 4 points. We also saw15-30 does a day along with fawns. Unfortunately my son was not able to put one in the dirt, but I managed to fill my tag with a small 4x4.
IMGP3615.jpg

Broomd

WKR
Unfortunately we're headed for worsening issues with the mule deer herd in many units; hopefully guys will read the tea leaves and simply pass on them.
Some can't or won't do that. Shooting spikes, forks, does......Ultimately the responsibility falls on ID F&G--they make the calls and can stop or limit until things improve, alas the $....

Like Robby mentioned, some years are peak, but right now it's very sparse in some areas.

Broomd

WKR
One other thing...I was reading the Idaho portion at the "Monster Muleys" forum and was really shocked. Many guys taking their kids hunting only to have there young ones want ie. DESIRE to pass on spikes, forks and small bucks!
I posted with sincere kudos. Those guys are great mentors for instilling that character in those young hunters! And good on those kids for the patience and vision for the deer herd.

A lot to be learned there for many!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately we're headed for worsening issues with the mule deer herd in many units; hopefully guys will read the tea leaves and simply pass on them.
Some can't or won't do that. Shooting spikes, forks, does......Ultimately the responsibility falls on ID F&G--they make the calls and can stop or limit until things improve, alas the $....

Like Robby mentioned, some years are peak, but right now it's very sparse in some areas.
Some of my posts on here have been down right nasty and for that I am sorry but the above is exactly how I feel. I know Idaho deer after having hunted every season since being 12. They are sparse in the 3 units I hunt. That said posting the does n small buck pics on a thread about how most of them died last year to me makes no sense. I get it the meats amazing and its my favorite but I just want them to get big and most of the older bucks died last winter so the next crop is what we need to kind of baby in my opinion. If IDFG does not do it maybe we can be more selective as sportsmen and help the overall herd. Done whinning.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

So after reading and hearing about how tough Idaho was this year, I'm starting to have serious anxiety issues over my miss on a Mature 4pt Buck. How have any of you dealt with such a devastating miss? 3rd day Backpacking of 10 day hunt?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk