Idaho Mule Deer Winter Kill

ORHunter

WKR
Just wanted to hear what kind of numbers guys are seeing in the actual field with all the winter kill talk all year? Is it worse in your area than Idaho F&G made it sound or are you seeing similar numbers to last year etc?

Last edited:

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been in an high country area in central idaho hunting elk since October 1st.
We have seen two deer. But lots of elk.

Randy

In my area over 13 days I didn't see one buck, only a few does and fawns. Discussions with other hunters on the trail seemed to be aligned with my observations as well.

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
Over 10 days in the high country saw one decent buck not worth a bow hike or shooting with a rifle. I hope everyone lets the two points grow.
940c59484fb2925c2bdc603ecd2512e0.jpg
a506b4e8e76afa585d589b551c132f45.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

sagebuster

Lil-Rokslider
Spent most of August scouting new country, but only saw a handful of does. Hunted 10 days in September for elk in my favorite honeyhole, where the deer population has increased considerably in the last half-dozen years, and I saw...nothing. No deer. Nada. Plenty of elk, though. Have spent the last week before the opening of the general season in prime habitat, up high in a skiff of snow, and saw three small bucks, the biggest an anemic 3x3. Maybe I'm just not seeing them, but every year I generally stumble onto a shooter despite myself. So far, not this season. I've been in Units 22, 23, 35, 36, 39. My son's best buddy took a 3x4 that was hanging with some does on day two of the general season, October 11th. Maybe a three year old buck. It doesn't look promising out there...at least where I usually hunt. I think the winter kill was worse than advertised, at least in some areas. It will be interesting to see what numbers show up on winter range for the late archery hunt in unit 39. Could be very discouraging. I keep telling myself "Don't be surprised".

OP
ORHunter

ORHunter

WKR
Seems to be the same consensus as most I've talked to in central/eastern Oregon as well. Obviously there are still pockets of deer around but it seems pretty dismal over all.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
id like to know where to see "plenty of elk" in idaho in september on public. :)

Snow made finding elk tough!

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
id like to know where to see "plenty of elk" in idaho in september on public. :)

Snow made finding elk tough!
I was in them a lot up high in the snow but I could not get em talking so I had to look in the river bottoms where they were making a lot of noise. I saw about 200 head of elk total and not much deer.
0efdfeb08ca6ee9ceac9552c44ce2283.jpg
14fd37b6f5f55783413fd10434fc31c7.jpg
47a3ab108a1f916a684c741b842892ca.jpg
0baca1aa6d95239f3e7bb55dd4e18884.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Murph1

Lil-Rokslider
I spent 10 days south of salmon in September and saw noir 4 bucks which is 3 more than I've seen in years past.

While elk hunting for twelve days I only ran into probably twenty deer. One nice 4x4 buck. I'm getting reports of more deer and bucks since the rifle opener. Nothing considerably big, but deer regardless. I did notice quite a few does without fawns. Can't wait to get up there in a week to see what we see!

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
I spent 8-9 days in SE Idaho and saw ZERO bucks. There was does around and a few fawns. Didn't look good where I was.

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Saw 0 bucks during archery elk season. Hunting McCall Zone. Was out last weekend and saw one quality buck and about 20 does and fawns. Pulled my cameras and mostly had does/fawns/small bucks. Only one small crab claw 4 pt.

Talked with a guy that was up for the opener and he has seen a large uptick in deer. Again, mostly does/fawns/small bucks, but around 40-45 a day.

Heard a report from an area in the middle of the state that they are seeing 40-50 deer a day. Couple shooters and one 180” buck on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just spent 5 days in 36a, never saw a deer while hunting. Saw a few does and one group of four small bucks down in the farmers field. Talked to one group of guys at the trailhead who were coming out, they did not see a deer either.

What's the word on 39?

Plannjng on heading there Sunday for a week. Northern idaho was a no go earlier this week.

JustHunt

FNG
Just returned from the central part of the state. I could only hunt 3 days. The winter was worse than I thought, and I knew it would be bad. I saw 5 bucks in those three days, all of them were 1.5 year old bucks. Nothing bigger than a 3 point. Last year i only hunted 2 days right after the opener, 3rd and 4th day of the season and I saw 6 or 7 bucks a day including some decent ones..

DocV

FNG
12 days in the field throughout 22 we saw 25 does and no bucks. The elk were GHOSTS, no calling, no feeding and plenty of sign. I think between the wolves and the winter they're not doing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wanted to hear what kind of numbers guys are seeing in the actual field with all the winter kill talk all year? Is it worse in your area than Idaho F&G made it sound or are you seeing similar numbers to last year etc?
Just came off 43, 11 bucks 2-3 point and 2 4 point. One I couldn't close the deal. 2 of 6 tags filled with a small 4x3 and small 3x3.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk