Idaho Mule Deer Winter Kill

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I just hunted in three different central Idaho units for Elk and deer. I guess I was lucky because I saw several older age deer and messed up on two VERY nice bucks. One day I counted 60+ plus does and fawns.

Mike 338

WKR
Hunted 9 days out of a spike camp. Saw 3 does and 9 elk, all on the first day. Can't say it was very rewarding.

excaliber

WKR
You can't say most of the older bucks died last year. There is no evidence in that. I'd like to see the evidence you have on that. If the does and smaller bucks made it the larger bucks did just as well if not much better.
Some of my posts on here have been down right nasty and for that I am sorry but the above is exactly how I feel. I know Idaho deer after having hunted every season since being 12. They are sparse in the 3 units I hunt. That said posting the does n small buck pics on a thread about how most of them died last year to me makes no sense. I get it the meats amazing and its my favorite but I just want them to get big and most of the older bucks died last winter so the next crop is what we need to kind of baby in my opinion. If IDFG does not do it maybe we can be more selective as sportsmen and help the overall herd. Done whinning.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
This year was my first time out in Idaho, I expected a lot more deer hunting unit 19A but the deer were impossible to find compared to elk. 4 of us caught glimpses of 3 bucks in the 3-4pt range with no shots and less than a dozen does. I only found one set of tracks in the snow worth getting excited about. The Elk hunting was amazing, still had bugling first week of rifle our group of 4 saw maybe 20 bulls with 2 kills 1 miss and some passes on young bulls and everyone had bulls inside 200yds more than once. I figured before going out that elk would be harder to find and mulies would be all over the way whitetails are in the east but those critters were ghosts if around at all. I killed my bull opening day and spent 5 more days hunting mulies and never found a shooter worth chambering a round.

I will say Idaho has a piece of my heart and was the most beautiful country I ever hunted, I will be back. Good luck to those who enjoy it every year

Idahohillboy

Lil-Rokslider
You can't say most of the older bucks died last year. There is no evidence in that. I'd like to see the evidence you have on that. If the does and smaller bucks made it the larger bucks did just as well if not much better.
Your right the only evidence I have is me and my eyes and what I am used to seeing and what all my local buddies are used to seeing. But because of the reports on my units have been dismal I gave up on coming back for rifle. I saw a lot of small bucks and my buddies have not seen any real giants hit the ground. Hows your season going and what units are you hunting with good bucks? I know the Southern Idaho border did not get hammered as bad.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mike 338

WKR
One of the best ways to determine deer numbers is to wait until they migrate to winter grounds and see what you got. 30 years ago, there were so many deer standing around, you wouldn't even take the time to look at them, they were that common. It's definitely not heat way any more. I can't remember the last time I saw a good sized herd that wasn't being fed. Idaho deer hunting, outside of prime areas, has been less than stellar for a long time and there seems to be no relief in sight. Your just as apt to see a large predator as a buck.

KurtR

WKR
This year was my first time out in Idaho, I expected a lot more deer hunting unit 19A but the deer were impossible to find compared to elk. 4 of us caught glimpses of 3 bucks in the 3-4pt range with no shots and less than a dozen does. I only found one set of tracks in the snow worth getting excited about. The Elk hunting was amazing, still had bugling first week of rifle our group of 4 saw maybe 20 bulls with 2 kills 1 miss and some passes on young bulls and everyone had bulls inside 200yds more than once. I figured before going out that elk would be harder to find and mulies would be all over the way whitetails are in the east but those critters were ghosts if around at all. I killed my bull opening day and spent 5 more days hunting mulies and never found a shooter worth chambering a round.

I will say Idaho has a piece of my heart and was the most beautiful country I ever hunted, I will be back. Good luck to those who enjoy it every year

Hunted 19a just the opposite was looking for elk and all we saw were mule deer

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Central ID recap.
I guess I was guilty of having a positive attitude but I stick by my "Heck...why not just go hunt" theory.
We had 8 people for 7 days, we got around, very little gasoline burnt in comparison to boot leather.
Totals(ish):
500- does+fawns (every doe had a fawn...yay:))
30- bucks
4- 2.5 year old bucks (2 of em got shot)

We were looking for 3.5 year old deer, then I was looking for a 2.5 year old deer...then I was looking for a deer to shoot to eat (and to piss off idahohillbillyboy...AKA spike or forky) not sure I woulda had the heart to blast him anyway but regardless I never saw him the last 2 days.
I agree with IDHBB...we just need to NOT shoot the little ones but daaaaaaang>>>we WERE in the good old days, time to rebuild.
I did see a nice buck the last morning and couldn't make it happen.
I know the general wintering area and we stopped on the highway to glass a tiny draw...glassed up a 150" winterkill about 500 yards up the hill...on our way to walk up there we found 4 more winter kills. No bueno. Not sure what I'll be doing next year but this year was a learning experience and adventure.
The elk are fine :)

MtnMuley

WKR
I can assure you that winterkill severely affected the areas I've hunted and am hunting.

JustHunt

FNG
Tough year for me. I hunted 10 different days this season, hiked a lot of miles, covered as much country as I could, hunted and glassed from dark to dark, when glassing wasn't working I busted brush and aspen patches, checked out high country, transition country and sage/desert and only saw 8 different bucks. I happened to see the largest buck on the 9th day, a 24-25 inch 3x4, and chose to pass (I knew I was going home empty after that). Ate 2 non-resident tags. I learned a lot and enjoyed the hell out of it. Ill be back next year for the monster Elk I got to put eyes on!;) But the deer need a break, atleast in the units I was in.

pingpong7

FNG
Hit and miss as far as winter kill depending on area - passed up several young/small bucks I am all for letting the young ones walk and shooting mature bucks, if you shoot the small ones.....they cant get big. Let's all read Robby Denning's book and utilize his mentality on the quality of bucks to chase. It works, I promise.

1signguy

WKR
I am headed to Idaho in a week to hunt a large piece of un-pressured private land. Will let you know what I find and try and get some pictures...

Spent twelve days hunting south central Idaho. Deer were hard to find at first, but the closer to the rut it got and the more time I spent there the more deer I saw. I personally saw two solid 4x4s and a smaller 3x4 come out to trucks. Know of another couple solid 4x4s killed in the area when I was up there. Had a very big bodied, tall, inline buck in the scope at last light on day ten I believe, but ran out of time while waiting for him to present a shot. Passed on a couple forkenhorns that were smaller or as small as the does they were trying to get rutty with and messed up a stalk on a 3x4 that was pushing does around. A lot of does had fawns which was good to see. Warm weather and a ton of pressure at the end made hunting tough, but it would good to see it wasn't all doom and gloom.

Broomd

WKR
Well, one thing is for sure, we have some quality herd-conscious fellas here at the 'slide. Good on you guys for passing on the dinks and for the candor here. Some of you obviously put in some real work for your muley. Coming home empty ain't easy sometimes!

I've had a Nov.6th trip planned down to the salmon for mule deer with the wife for some time, may just concentrate on whitetails around our place...

downthepipe

Lil-Rokslider
Mike Scott of Whitecloud Outfitters stated that he thought 70-80% of the herd in the east fork salmon area 36a2 succumbed to the winter of 2016-2017. Not sure if that is accurate but he’s hunted in there for 30 years.

JLH208

WKR
b054070fd399d35f566c555cae9e75ba.jpg
b09fa4eebe613d2ce786f2419a57b30d.jpg
51a4e1815d53e41863ca6e63748f751e.jpg
1ade437a476572fcd2a2e341e3b629e9.jpg

- Jesse