Mule Deer activity with strong winds

NDGuy

WKR
Headed to MT this weekend and looking like 15-20 MPH winds all week with 30-60 MPH gusts.

In this type of weather conditions, what should I expect from the deer? I have never hunted muleys before, only whitetail. Would it be similar that activity levels will be down especially in the daytime? Do they like to stick to anywhere they can get out of that wind whether it be breaks or trees?

Also any advice on how to keep my tent to blow away..with me in it? LOL

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
HI, I've noticed big windstorms cause the deer to act just like big precipitation storms, activity drops for a day or so, but the first break, they're in the open for a bit. I've seen big deer out the day after a windstorm where there were none before. I don't pack a meter, but these are days with 20-50mph winds. Higher the wind, the more they avoid it.

OP
NDGuy

NDGuy

WKR
HI, I've noticed big windstorms cause the deer to act just like big precipitation storms, activity drops for a day or so, but the first break, they're in the open for a bit. I've seen big deer out the day after a windstorm where there were none before. I don't pack a meter, but these are days with 20-50mph winds. Higher the wind, the more they avoid it.

Thanks for the reply Robby, it is looking like there might not be a break the whole trip HA. Looks like we'll be walking draws for most of the trip if we have issues glassing.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for the reply Robby, it is looking like there might not be a break the whole trip HA. Looks like we'll be walking draws for most of the trip if we have issues glassing.
then it will be the same when there is four day blizzard, after about a day, they still come out as they are hungry.

On the praire I actually like the wind storms we get. It locks them into their beds in the coulees and you can really almost step on them before they'll bust out. Look for them on east facing coulees if it's a west wind.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk