New Muley Hunter - Elevation during 2nd rifle CO

Hey guys,

Was hoping someone could share a little info on mule deer habits in Colorado. I've got a second-rifle deer tag for one of the easier-to-draw units and was curious what kind of elevation I should be really shooting for. It's snowed a few times up that way but nothing too major. Would that push the deer down in middle of October or might they still be hanging around up a little higher. Really just looking to put meat in the freezer since archery was a bust.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ElkElkGoose

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think they are at a set elevation as a rule. I've seen some down low in the sage and some above tree line. I happen to have found a couple nice bucks up high during archery and have a second rifle tag as well. I called the CPW office this week and they said they don't think the snow has been significant enough to push them down. They said that usually it takes a foot plus and it has to stay around a week or so. If you are in a southern unit they don't really have any snow at all right now. But like I said, I just happen to have found two up high, doesn't mean you have to climb to tree line to get one, they'll be at different elevations.

As a side not, I'm new on this forum as well and find it somewhat lacking in actual animal behavior, hunting tactics, etc posts. Seems to be mostly gear questions, philosophical questions, and click bait titled threads (Kinda weird). I'm not a pro but if you have any more questions feel free to PM me.

The elevations that deer will be vary quite a bit, even within a given unit. A good tactic is to go to the Colorado Hunting Atlas and pick a spot between the summer and winter range, and start there. During second season there often are migrating deer herds heading toward their wintering grounds, at least where I've hunted. There will be more and more deer at the lower elevations as the hunt progresses, though even that is weather dependent. Regardless, it's likely that there will be deer at all elevations within your unit, and just because the large numbers of deer are higher or lower that doesn't mean a handful of bucks aren't lurking around at any elevation.

I find it somewhat lacking in actual animal behavior, hunting tactics, etc posts. Seems to be mostly gear questions, philosophical questions, and click bait titled threads.

That's definitely true. Frankly I think a lot of the threads where people ask for help get ignored. I'm sure the reasons are varied, but there are people that try their best to help out when they can. Unfortunately a very large number of hunters that frequent forums would rather spend their time ensuring they have the latest and greatest gear instead of learning how to become a better hunter. Heck most people will spend more time walking around in a Cabela's every year than they will shooting their rifle and practicing their form. Talking about gear is "cool" and asking for help understanding animal behavior I guess isn't.

As mentioned, without a foot or 18" of snow, they won't be pushed out of any elevations. They range all over the place, elevation wise. I would look for spots that don't get a ton of pressure due to difficult access. I've found a lot of bucks tend to bed where they have a good view all around them for predators. Don't forget to glass mid-day. If it is hot, focus on North facing slopes and shaded areas.

As an aside, with a name like coloyooper, have you seen the movie Escanaba in da Moonlight? A Yooper friend of mine told me watching that was a UP tradition before deer season. :)

OP
coloyooper
Thanks everybody for chiming in. Good info here.

ElkElkGoose - I may take you up on the PM offer.

GunnersDad - my deer camp in the UP is about 5 miles as the crow flies from Esky. I promise I'm no Buckless Yooper though... at least not back there! Gotta earn my stripes out here now!

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I learned more about mule deer behavior and hunting tactics this archery season by reading 2 books (multiple times) and then applying the principles in the field.

- Dwight Schuh's book "Hunting Open Country Mule Deer"

and

Robby's book.

I got within 35 yards of a 170ish velvet muley half way through my week long hunt in CO. No shot. Missed him at 70 on the last day. While it was a heartbreaker, I'd rank it right up there with some of the best hunts of my life because of the knowledge I gained before, during and after the hunt.

I never would have tried some of the things I did without reading those 2 books.

I have 2 muley tags left. TX and NM... redemption or bust.

Good luck to you.

VANDAL

WKR
Deer will tolerate snow if the feed is good. From my experience the feed quality in the "high county" deteriorates in October, which pushes the deer to lower elevations...snow or no snow. Not sure on your area, but for me in Colorado this generally is >10,500 ft.

If present at your location focus on Aspens, oak brush, and timber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zhunter

FNG
I know someone who hunted first season and there where plenty of deer seen above 9700' still

OP
coloyooper
Thanks everybody. Saw plenty of deer this weekend, but no antlers. Couldn't seal the deal so I guess it'll be whitetail in Nebraska..