NE Oregon buck

Twitch

WKR
IMG_2650.jpgIMG_2622.jpgIMG_2670.jpgIMG_2638.jpg
View attachment 59762View attachment 59762View attachment 59762IMG_2635.jpgHey all,

I've lurked for a while, seem to have too many other forums to participate in. Appreciate the site and hope to contribute more.

Anyway, went to a new unit in NE Oregon this year. Deer got hammered by last winter, but I've decided to hunt a different unit each year now to see new country so even with the outlook dismal, I put in anyway.
Have never set foot in the unit, but identified some good looking spots on google earth and hatched a plan. I would be hunting solo in some very steep country.

First day I hit the remote canyon break a little later than I wanted due to not knowing what it would take to get in there. Area looked killer but all I spotted was some bighorn and a doe with twins. Spotted a nice elk shed and decided to work my way down for a better look. Descended 2656' according to the GPS and was still a solid 500' above it when I hit a series of impassible cliffs and decided to pull the plug. Spotted a small buck same elevation as the shed, but definitely not worth the effort to get him out. The buck and the shed will live on for someone more determined than I.

Next day decided to do 'the right thing' buy walking out a Jeep trail to a series of breaks. The road was nasty, and the weather was turning; the kind of place that will eat rigs once the road is wet. Not worth it when solo and no cell service.Leave 2 hours before daylight with a solid 40# of crap on my back. About 1.5 miles in, a truck drives up on me, goes right around without a word, and proceeds to drive the ridgetop out to the very tip where I was headed. &@¥#!

Keep walking to confirm they are where I wanted to go. Yup, three guys watching the draw I wanted. &$#%!
Wind is a solid 25 sustained, gusts that would about blow you over. Pissing rain and snow. Screw this, no sane deer would be out in this. I look for timber and a north slope reprieve.
Make it to some timber loaded with deer crap. No wind. Things looking good. Go about 100yds and spot the face of a buck looking at me from behind a log. As he did the tell tale stiff legged 'I'm about to haul A' mulie turn, I made my way to the nearest tree for a rest and it was all over.

Weather was getting worse, and not knowing what access would be like if I split the load between days, I opted to get it all out hat day. 10 miles later, I was back in camp. Wish he would have been bigger, but then again, glad he wasn't.

On to a new unit next year!