My boy's first buck!

Colorado GMU 65, public land, after work!
I picked up returned buck tags for the wife and son a month ago and got one down last night! 12 years old and first big game animal. He shot mom's Remington 700 308 with 165s and drilled the shoulder, heart, and 1 lung with 1 shot at 163 yds, uphill, off of shooting sticks. I couldn't have asked for better placement and it went down with 2 steps, great first experience for him. He was stoked for sure but definitely had some mixed feelings about taking a life. I reassured him it is a good thing to feel that way. Mom's 62 tag is left and she missed an absolute giant on Sunday morning....easy 200 in buck with a massive body. Both have 4th season cow tags to fill as well. I got home last night to my daughter asking if it's too late to get her an elk tag also! Having a family that hunts, just lets me hunt more! 20171025_182038.jpg

Cody,

Please tell your son that an old retired gunwriter from Oregon sends his heartfelt congratulations.

And good on you for raising a wonderful boy and gal.

Steve

Congratulations to him! I know the feeling, my son took his 1st big game animal (a Sitka blacktail buck) at the age of 12 as well. Way to get them started young.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome Cody, congrats man! That's a memory that will live with him forever and something he can always be proud of. Hopefully your wife can get back on the giant, would love to see pictures!

Heath

OP
C
Thanks everyone! He's really not much of an outdoorsy kid...as much as I try to push him that way. It's been really fun seeing him so excited about this and now so proud of it. Hopefully they can get on cows for 4th rifle too and get him fired up for a bigger buck next year.
I had him read through all the replies yesterday and watching him smile as he read them was pretty cool!

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
Nice job way to get it done! Thats awesome your entire family is into hunting. Good luck on your cow hunts