2 Idaho 4 points for me this year.....

270quest

WKR
It was another good year this year on deer here in Idaho. I always get two tags - my resident general tag, and a non resident tag so I can hunt 2 deer. I always try to find a decent first buck and trophy hunt the second. This year it worked out to a tee. The first buck is a 20" 3x4 - nothing special, just a decent buck. Found him in a drainage about 3 miles from the trail head. 1 140 accubond from my 280 ackley put him down. I had seen approx 10 bucks (all 2 and 3 points) prior to taking him.

K0BaFNu.jpg

638zlEb.jpg

My second buck ended up being a toad. I hunted hard and passed up 8-10 deer very similar to my first one. I finally found this big guy just a few hundred yards away from were I killed my first buck bedded in some cliffs - very steep country. Buck fever got me and I missed the first shot in his bed, but connected on the second and put him down. He is the biggest deer I have shot to date. He is exactly 30" wide and grosses 181. I'm just a little bit excited over this one...lol

xTukrWP.jpg

I have noticed a lot of people complaining about the deer herds in Idaho this year and I am sure they are down a bit, but if you get away from the roads and hunt - the deer are there. In a total of 8 days hunting I saw hundreds of does and probably a total of 30 bucks. Most young 2 points and 3 points - however I did take the two largest deer I saw. Also, both these were OTC, DIY, Salmon-Challis National Forest Land hunts which is big, rugged, steep backcountry.

ianpadron

WKR
It was another good year this year on deer here in Idaho. I always get two tags - my resident general tag, and a non resident tag so I can hunt 2 deer. I always try to find a decent first buck and trophy hunt the second. This year it worked out to a tee. The first buck is a 20" 3x4 - nothing special, just a decent buck. Found him in a drainage about 3 miles from the trail head. 1 140 accubond from my 280 ackley put him down. I had seen approx 10 bucks (all 2 and 3 points) prior to taking him.

K0BaFNu.jpg

638zlEb.jpg

My second buck ended up being a toad. I hunted hard and passed up 8-10 deer very similar to my first one. I finally found this big guy just a few hundred yards away from were I killed my first buck bedded in some cliffs - very steep country. Buck fever got me and I missed the first shot in his bed, but connected on the second and put him down. He is the biggest deer I have shot to date. He is exactly 30" wide and grosses 181. I'm just a little bit excited over this one...lol

xTukrWP.jpg

I have noticed a lot of people complaining about the deer herds in Idaho this year and I am sure they are down a bit, but if you get away from the roads and hunt - the deer are there. In a total of 8 days hunting I saw hundreds of does and probably a total of 30 bucks. Most young 2 points and 3 points - however I did take the two largest deer I saw. Also, both these were OTC, DIY, Salmon-Challis National Forest Land hunts which is big, rugged, steep backcountry.
Fantastic my man! Epic country too

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Awesome that buck would get anyone's blood pumping congratulations

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

TravKatQ

WKR

K0BaFNu.jpg

638zlEb.jpg

xTukrWP.jpg

Awesome buck! Way to fill tags!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryan2782

FNG
Both good deer! Your second one is impressive! that's what I'm going for in two weeks!

TripleJ

WKR
Nice work, looks like a great deer season for you. That 2nd buck is a stud.

Congrats! Just spent twelve days a little south of there. Didn't get to pull the trigger and only found one "big" buck.

Very nice! Hey can you give me some advice about Idaho mule deer because I mostly hunt blacktail in California.

I hunted last year in the McCall unit and got a small fork and horn in an old burn. The area had a lot of deer trail traffic in one small draw, but I scouted a few days prior to opening and literally felt like I had no chance because I never saw a single deer until I found that high traffic area on opening day.

Do all the deer hangout in bunched up areas? I hiked for miles and found very little deer sign. What kind of land features do you look for when scouting/hunting? If you were starting from scratch and looking to scout an area, do you key in on high traffic deer trails? Or do you sit across and glass with a spotting scope?

Thanks!

Pistolpete28

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the general season for 7 days this year. I seen about 15 bucks and 2 nice bucks that I could not seal the deal on. Congratulations on your success that second buck is a tank

sneaky

"DADDY"
Very nice! Hey can you give me some advice about Idaho mule deer because I mostly hunt blacktail in California.

I hunted last year in the McCall unit and got a small fork and horn in an old burn. The area had a lot of deer trail traffic in one small draw, but I scouted a few days prior to opening and literally felt like I had no chance because I never saw a single deer until I found that high traffic area on opening day.

Do all the deer hangout in bunched up areas? I hiked for miles and found very little deer sign. What kind of land features do you look for when scouting/hunting? If you were starting from scratch and looking to scout an area, do you key in on high traffic deer trails? Or do you sit across and glass with a spotting scope?

Thanks!
You should pick up a copy of Robby's book . It answers all of your questions.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"

K0BaFNu.jpg

638zlEb.jpg

xTukrWP.jpg

Great bucks. Now, here is proof that nonresidents aren't buying all the tags or killing all the deer lol. I've got a 280 Ackley myself. Love that gun.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

deadwolf

WKR
Awesome buck! We hunted the salmon challis area this year as well, my first time being there. I saw only one nice buck, somewhere in between the two you harvested, but he was quick to give me the slip. Was the only decent buck I saw in 8 days. Enjoyed every minute of it though : )

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk