Friggin Idaho locals!!

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
So there I was...I had camped next to my truck on the spine of a ridge, I woke up in the dark and hiked 4k straight up just to be blasted in the face by snow and 30+ mph wind for 6 hours...just for funsies. Anyway, passed on a buck. Ran into some local Idaho type folks on my way down, they were going to pack out a bull they'd shot. They asked where I'd gone up the "hill"...I said "back yonder where my truck is"...they got kinda awkward and I though...that's weird. Anyway we BS'd for a little and I headed back to my truck/camp. It was windy as all hell and since my tent was on a ridge getting blasted by wind I'd put like 30# of big rocks in it so it wouldn't blow away. Sure enough I couldn't see my tent as I was walkin back. I was all like...if it'd blown away it would be down there somewhere...it wasn't down there anywhere. I was super pissed, like someone stole my friggin tent because they hate outta towners...WTH man!! Sorry I fuel your mom and pop shops for months every year and have direct deposit going to IDFG outta my paycheck every month!! You know I was thinking standard stuff that a guy who'd been freezing and getting his face blasted off by wind/snow for hours only to find his tent had been stolen would think. Sure enough I got to my truck and there it was...my tent was stuffed under my truck (rocks and sleeping bag still in it) and my rain-fly was folded up and put under my big cooler in the back of the truck. So those guys had seen my tent in dire straights...as I can only imagine...getting whipped around in the wind gusts like cray cray. Friggin Idaho people...I've no doubt that the situation beyond justified their actions and I appreciate the hell outta what they did for me. Maybe it's just on forums that people despise NR's because out in the field ID folks are nothin but helpful and friendly to me. Thanks guys... I shoulda never doubted ya'll.
20171020_152755.jpg

Randle

WKR
Most of us try to treat others with the respect we would hope to get. Great post

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
That is awesome!

Common courtesy is what my grampa us to say.

I pulled a guy from PA out of the ditch a couple weeks ago while hunting. He said several trucks with Idaho plates just drove by. We are better than that.

woodmoose

Lil-Rokslider
I have only hunted Idaho once,,,,meet a few groups while there,,,,the locals (well from Idaho anyhow, but from about 2-3 hrs away) were great folks,,,,,even offered to let me bum some mules next time I went,,,exchange christmas cards etc,,,,great folks,,,

the dudes from that I meet there from another state,,,,well let's just say I've meet nicer,,,,

At least 90% of the locals (and non-locals) I run into in Idaho and Nevada are very friendly and courteous. All the peckerheads must be closer to the trucks! ;)

Macegl

Lil-Rokslider
First job out of college was in Arco Idaho, lived there for a year and a half, some of the best people on this earth call Idaho home! Just a couple days ago my wife said “you know I’d like to move back to Idaho some day” completely out of the blue. Someday I hope we do.

KurtR

WKR
Hunted there two years in a row now and the people i have met around Riggins Idaho have been awesome. Only problem is they always invite us to have a snack at camp and i get tired after eating the good food. ;)

My experience up there was great. Such nice people on the mountain. My home state on the other hand, I literally did have my tent stolen on the opener of the muzzle loader about 4 years ago in the mountains above bountiful. Couldn't believe my eyes.

Last edited:

b0nes

Lil-Rokslider
Most idahoans that you hear the bad stuff about, have probably had bad experiences with "dipshit" out of staters. If you're polite and cordial most are great people. If I pull up to an out of state licence plate at a trailhead and come across the party i have no problem sharing info and the such, the problem is that a lot of out of staters show up with a this is my ridge attitude. That's when your stuff or hunt gets messed with. If everyone is polite and amicable, very rare chance anyone tries to diminish your hunting experience.

OP
Joe Schmo

Joe Schmo

Lil-Rokslider
Well they were at it again...not sure what I'm gonna do if these guys keep up this charade. I got lucky and picked a piece of state land, drove out there, spent the night, woke up, rattled once and filled both the ID deer tags that I didn't use on mulies :/
So I drug em to the spot where my buddy was gonna meet me to gut em in the clean snow, I had about an hour or so to kill after so I walked about 100 yds away to rattle just for funsies.
I reckoned that I would be able to hear him driving up the road. I heard something come up the road but it never got close or loud...half an hour later I walked back to my pile o' deers and there were a couple of locals in a car. "There he is" one of em said as I walked up. They'd been parked there waiting to see if I was in trouble or needed anything since I had my deer/pack/gun/livers/hearts all strewn about, they even offered to throw my deer in the trunk and drive me back to camp. Helluva offer but I didn't need it. I also ran into a guy hunting a ridge and he too was a friendly fellow. What is with these local folk!!
20171130_085521_resized.jpg

colonel00

WKR
Absolutely ridiculous that they didn't just go ahead and clean the deer for you while you were away. The nerve of some people... :D

ORHunter

WKR
I've been hunting in Idaho since 2007 as a NR and 99% of the locals have been friendly........but when I browse different Idaho FB groups I see a ton of NR hate. It's mostly humorous but it is in the back of my mind when I leave camp or vehicles unattended.

MtnMuley

WKR
It's not the guys on here, but hundreds of others that make normal acts of kindness like this these days seem outta the norm. Kudos to the guys for looking out for a fellow hunter, regardless where he's from.

Great thread my mother is from coeur d'lane and we spent every summer growing up between there and Missoula camping and fishing. The locals we met along the way were some of the best people I've met anywhere in the country. People invited us on there boats fishing in there homes huckleberry picking etc. in the past five years I've fished the Henry's fork area a few times and the locals I've met there have been nothing but helpful, got the RV stuck in the sand near the dunes and before I had a chance to call AAA I had several offers to pull us out but no chains, about 15 minutes later a local pulled hooked up a chain and hauled us out he pulled out the guy next to us to, I offered him money and he said put that back in your pocket and help the next guy that needs it along your way. Of course there's always some chooch on the oars bringing clients through your seams but I think they are far from locals. Great people beautiful country.