Is this young buck particularly wide?

3forks

WKR
What do you guys think of this buck? He's not heavy, and I've got a bet with a buddy regarding whether he's extra wide for a young deer or just average.

I say he's average, and will be a good buck in a couple of years, but nothing too special.

My buddy says this buck will be particularly good in a couple of years because he's pretty wide now.

I took this pic while futzing with my phoneskope, so sorry the image is rotated the wrong way.

Anyway, we've got a six pack of silver bullets riding on this so let us know what you think. We may as well hear some guesses on what this deer scores now, too.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0687.jpg
    IMG_0687.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 332
Are you kidding?? He's good enough for me right now. No way I'd chance letting him walk around for a few more years.

I ate tag soup this year in Montana on both elk and mulies, so my opinion might be different than others.

Just my 2 cents and worth the price charged.

Last edited:
Yeah, your buddy's drinking for free on this one. I'm not hesitating on that deer.

arri1942

Lil-Rokslider
if you think that is average, I need to be hunting where you are hunting. Definitely a nice deer. Drinks on you.

weswieder

FNG
You'll never shoot a big one by taking one that has plenty room to grow. Beautiful buck that will become a monster but only by exercising restraint.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My guestimation is that he is about 28" outside spread. Your right, he is not particularly heavy, yet. But I would exactly call him a young deer. When we look at many record book bucks, it's not the width that get them in, it's the symmetry, deep forks, and mass, more than anything. This buck has good symmetry and deep forks. But who is to know he'll ever put on the mass; I supposed knowing the quality the area puts out can really help with that, but will he survive to do such.

With that said, he a damn fine animal in the vast majorities of hunters eyes.