Wyoming mule deer pointers

This year I drew a tag on my first try and it was my first mule deer hunt since leaving Iowa and from my limited experience I have found mule deer to be easier to pattern than whitetails.

It maybe different in Iowa but I grew up hunting deer in WI and in those years regularly saw the same deer on the same trail at the same time day after day. I have hunted mule deer in 4 states and one province and don't think I have ever seen a mule deer do the same trail 2 days in a row. I have not hunted them in agriculture though so maybe that's the difference. Anyway, in my 30 years of experience whitetail are way easier to pattern.

George

Lil-Rokslider
It maybe different in Iowa but I grew up hunting deer in WI and in those years regularly saw the same deer on the same trail at the same time day after day. I have hunted mule deer in 4 states and one province and don't think I have ever seen a mule deer do the same trail 2 days in a row. I have not hunted them in agriculture though so maybe that's the difference. Anyway, in my 30 years of experience whitetail are way easier to pattern.

I can't say that I have ever seen any mature buck use the same trail 2 days in a row. The mule deer that I watched all seemed to be bedding in the same 60 acre or so area and returned to that area every morning up one of two draws that came together before entering into their bedding area.

I did put a camera up a couple of days ago on that route that should provide some intel.

G

Last edited:
I am sure there are certain times of the year they hold patterns and certain times they want to hit a food source every day. You never know with deer I guess.

OP
T

tacoma96

FNG
I have a Leupold Spotting Scope and a pair of 10x32 Oculus Binos. Take both? Also what is your target pack weight?

I have a Leupold Spotting Scope and a pair of 10x32 Oculus Binos. Take both? Also what is your target pack weight?

I bring a spotter when hunting deer most of the time. If the country is just super thick and I wont be looking more than 300-500 yards all I bring is Binos. I would just bring both if I was you.

I'm going to assume that your wanting to backpack?

There are a ton of opinions about pack weight. Here is mine:

Pack weight is really kind of a personal thing. The biggest influences in my opinion are

1. How much money you have to buy gear.
2. How far in you're going, for how long and what time of year.
3. Physical fitness and physique.

Target pack weight to me is a light as possible and not compromise performance from my gear. I am 6'1 weigh 225 and my pack weighs about 45 lbs for 5 days during archery season and around 60 for rifle season. The reason I listed the number one factor is budget regarding pack weight is because lightweight gear is super expensive. Most guys can't afford to have the top of the line of every lightweight piece of gear they need for a trip so that plays huge in what your target weight should be. Second time of year plays a huge roll too. I bring heavier duty clothes, shelter and my rifle is a bit heavier than my bow so my pack is 12-15 lbs heavier later in the season (I also bring extra food). So I would look at your gear, what money you have to replace or buy new stuff and come up with a number on your own based on your own physical capabilities, how far in you plan to go and for how long. Food is usually 1-2 pounds per day, so you can see how there's a big difference in weight just from food depending on how long you go for. So be realistic with yourself. Try some training hikes with a weighted pack if you can and see what you can handle and go from there.

mcseal2

WKR
How do you plan to hunt, base camp, hotel, or backpack hunt? How much you pack and what you pack will depend on this.

A few tips from another Midwestern whitetail hunter who has been west several times on gear. Others here and Robby's book can teach way more about tactics than I can.

I'd get bigger binos. I really like using 15x binos off a tripod. I use Swaro but Robby gave a favorable review to the Vortex Vultures at a different price range. Leupold, Minox, Zeiss, Maven, and others have options in between those prices. If you don't want to pack 2 sets of binos a good 12x50 you can tripod mount is a great option for tripod and hand held glassing. Even 10x42 binos are way more effective off a tripod than hand held. I don't think the 10x32's would be my pick for long hours behind the glass and picking apart shadows at low light.

I personally pack 10x42 Leica rangefinding binos in a FHF harness on my chest and a Kowa 55mm spotter in my pack all the time when hunting muleys. I have a Promaster 525 or Outdoorsmans compact medium tripod both with Outdoorsmans pan heads and I'll pack one or the other. If I might need extra height I pack the Promaster, otherwide it's usually the Outdoorsmans. If I'm not taking other binos I'll take a tripod adapter for my Leicas so I can glass with them off the tripod. Unless the walk is really going to be brutal, I usually take my 15x56 Swaro binos and a tripod adapter also. I do the majority of my glassing with the 15x off the tripod and use the spotter only once I want to size up something I already found. I like the big field of view on the 15x binos compared to the spotter, and the reduced eye strain. I have a shooting rest that attaches to my tripod head also to make it more multipurpose.

Get a rangefinder that calculates angles and practice shooting longer distances. I'm not saying you have to be able to shoot extreme range, but being confident from hunting positions to 300 or better yet 400yds is a good idea for western hunts. Don't spend a ton of money on a new gun and optic, just spend money on ammo and put it through your whitetail gun from field positions. Learn where it hits at different ranges and how wind affects your bullets. Learn to get into steady positions quickly and get confident. I practice using my pack as a rest both prone and sitting, plus practice shooting off my tripod or trekking poles. Whatever shooting aids you carry practice with them.

Learn to layer to be comfortable walking into position, but warm when you get there. I like the First Lite Aerowool base layers and the Kuiu Kenai insulting layers as part of my system. I usually wear Kryptek or Sitka pants and a Kryptek Dalibor II jacket. I often walk in in just a light base layer top and pants, then once I'm in place and the sweat has dried I add the Kuiu Kenai puffy pants and jacket, then the Dalibor over the top. I pack rain gear when the forecast calls for it and will use it as a wind breaking layer over the top of everything when glassing when I need a little more. A little Kuiu glassing pad helps keep my butt dry and comfortable while spending time behind the glass too. There are lots of good options from the different companies and whatever you choose needs matched to the conditions. Those are a few favorite pieces of mine that seem to get used more often than not. A good insulated head layer (I like a baklava) and warm gloves (Sitka Core plus Aleyeskan rag wool for me) help keep the extremities warm.

Good boots that are well broke in are a must. I like Kennetrek for most hunts, Salomon 4D GTX when it's warm and dry. Lots of companies make good ones and Lathrop and Sons makes great insoles for them.

A good GPS chip that shows land ownership or the OnX maps app for your phone is darn nice to have. Also if you have any carrier other than Verison don't plan on a ton of cell service in Wyoming. Since I switched to US Cellular my phone was darn near useless in Wyoming this year. It might be worth looking into something like the Garmin In Reach in case something goes wrong. The guy I hunt with still has Verison so we haven't done that. I might be switching back before our next trip.

I have my packing list from our hunt in 80 this year saved if you want to see it send me your email. We truck camped in the forest this trip.

JWP58

WKR
Don't waste your money, those optics will work fine. Bring both spotter and binos.

At&t has decent cell service in WY.

Snowy

Lil-Rokslider
Target pack weight = (How much you can physically carry out if your spot) - (about 65# of boned out meat and antlers)

That number or less.

OP
T

tacoma96

FNG
I was planning on using onxmaps. We are planning a backpack hunt so I am in process of purchasing some light weight gear. I work for Bass Pro and we get a pretty generous discount so I am good with buying what is necessary. I am comfortable shooting out to 400 yards as long as wind is manageable.
From everything I am reading the key will be preseason scouting, knowing the bedding areas and where the deer will be going for food and water, setting up on those spots well before light and waiting to catch some critters moving back and forth from those spots.