Post Colorado 4th season review and questions

As a resident, I drew a 4th season tag this year in a unit that doesn’t require many points, I can probably draw it again in 2019. But I was pumped cause it was my first rut hunt and obviously the competition from other hunters was low.

I was hunting around 8,000 ft everyday in the aspen patches, and got on groups of does every single day. The first couple of days were in the 40s and low 50s, but Saturday saw temps in the teens. I could never turn up any bucks on public land though, even though I found the does.

What do some of y’all do when you just aren’t turning up bucks in the rut? I had snow and I had cold. Should I have gone up higher in elevation? Should I have gone lower to the pinyon juniper? I sat on the groups of does I found for a couple hours at a time. Maybe they were late to rut in that area?

Anyways, I had a blast. It’s truly beautiful hunting the Aspens on a calm morning with snow covering everything in sight. Those bucks literally do know private property safe havens, saw several shooters hanging out on private property. I’ll get em next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both. You should have gone higher and lower. Big bucks are where you find them, not where you think they should be. Be flexible and be mobile. Rut hunts are awesome but will try your patience.