Arizona 27 archery?

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I am planning on hunting the southeast corner of the Blue entering from the New Mexico side out of Alma. I'll be carrying my camp on my back in an attempt to see more animals than people. Is this area far enough south of the Rim to stay out of deep snow mid-January?

RoJo

WKR
It will be a crap shoot. Much of that country is over 6,000 ft., there could be quite a bit of snow, or there could be none. I think the odds are pretty good there will not be too much to deal with, and lower country is not too far away in the event some weather comes through. Just keep an eye on the forecast leading up to the hunt.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
If there is no snow and no flash flooding is there drinkable water in the south east corner of the Blue or should I pack in all of my drinking water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFB

FNG
There are some pretty reliable springs around but I would carry plenty in the car just in case. Worst mistake I’ve made in that area is relying on a spring I hadn’t laid eyes on myself. Hiked in 4 miles and set up camp then hiked two more miles to, as the forest service guy put it, “the most reliable spring in the Blues”. It was dry as a bucket of sand. I’ve about always been able to find water within a reasonable hike of where I wanted to camp though and I’m usually there in September. I would carry a couple 4 liter camp bags to stock up on one trip.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
What would you guys recommend for daily clothing, I have everything I need so just curious as to what you guys run?

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
Is there any benefit to having a mountain bike in this unit? Any closed roads where one would be useful?

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Anyone familiar with the san francisco river bottoms? Looks like a good possibility for some good deer habitat? Was thinking of finding a confluence with another creek and see whats around?

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
The tackle shop in Alpine I assume would have them, will call them. looking good for me hunting last week of season right now. Bucks rutting good?

Thanks Rojo, I figured as much but you would think they would sell online.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Thanks soloone, I actually had finally found that. one of my route options goes through Alpine so works out well.

DFB

FNG
There’s a Wal Mart and about everything else in Show Low if your coming through there.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
I bought my license online and will be driving a few hours out of the way to stop in Alpine to purchase my tag. Is there anywhere to get a room for the night in Alpine? Anywhere to get a meal?
Thanks.

DFB

FNG
It seems like there may be a small cafe there but I can’t remember for sure. I usually just swing in the Tackle box for a few last minute things then hit the trails. I know there isn’t a hotel/motel, only a couple cabin rental type places. There’s a few things over in Eagar like a motel, subway, and a little Mexican restaurant though.

RoJo

WKR
It has been a few years since I have stayed or eaten in Alpine, but I have used the Sportsmans Lodge and Bear Wallow Café several times each in the past, and both were rather average but suitable. Just typical aging small town establishments. No offense intended, if the owners are watching!

I am planning on hunting the southeast corner of the Blue entering from the New Mexico side out of Alma. I'll be carrying my camp on my back in an attempt to see more animals than people. Is this area far enough south of the Rim to stay out of deep snow mid-January?

In case you're not already out there, I was just there over New Years, drove across Sunflower Mesa to the AZ border. Bone dry and the road is EXCELLENT. You could drive a Focus on that road 10 days ago. but don't try to go north or south on any spur road without high clearance.

TradAg02

Lil-Rokslider
In case you're not already out there, I was just there over New Years, drove across Sunflower Mesa to the AZ border. Bone dry and the road is EXCELLENT. You could drive a Focus on that road 10 days ago. but don't try to go north or south on any spur road without high clearance.

Thanks for the information. I’ll be heading in on Sunday. I’ll be in a 4x4, but prefer to use it to get out of trouble rather than to get into it so I’ll stick to the main road.