Arizona 27 archery?

dtrkyman

WKR
If I have the time I will drive over from Albuquerque to hunt the last week of Jan. Just looking for any basic info, saw Alpine on the map which is relatively close to ABQ. Will likely camp in my jeep and hoof it and glass all day.

Curious as to the type of terrain in the area and anything in particular to look for, I guess water should be a priority and finding some feeding areas, any plants in particular to key on?

Any info appreciated.

RoJo

WKR
Alpine, and much of the area around it, is 8,000 feet or more. In late January, there will probably be a bunch of snow. You may want to hunt farther south, like down below the Mogollon Rim.

PF_JM

FNG
I don't want to sound hateful but I've been researching this hunt for a while and all of these questions are easily answered with minimal research on AZFG, google earth and weather underground.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
How far south is the rim from there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That unit has some really remote, really rough, steep and inaccessible areas, especially where it drops off the rim. I have never hunted it but I have driven the main road down from Alpine to Morenci and it is a very slow twisty road with speed limits of 10 to 25 mph for most of the way. I have heard there are deer in there that die of old age and it would not surprise me at all. If you can find a two track road to get close and then hike in to where you want to be, the hunting can be very rewarding. The over the counter tags are good for numerous units, just make sure the unit you want to hunt is on the list.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
I don't want to sound hateful but I've been researching this hunt for a while and all of these questions are easily answered with minimal research on AZFG, google earth and weather underground.

Then I guess we don't need this forum.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
That unit has some really remote, really rough, steep and inaccessible areas, especially where it drops off the rim. I have never hunted it but I have driven the main road down from Alpine to Morenci and it is a very slow twisty road with speed limits of 10 to 25 mph for most of the way. I have heard there are deer in there that die of old age and it would not surprise me at all. If you can find a two track road to get close and then hike in to where you want to be, the hunting can be very rewarding. The over the counter tags are good for numerous units, just make sure the unit you want to hunt is on the list.

Thanks for the info, I like "inaccessible"

George

Lil-Rokslider

I use AZFG, google earth, and WU, I just didn't come across the answer to my question. Sorry to disturb you.

Thanks EL Gavilan.

G

RoJo

WKR
How far south is the rim from there?

Looking at the map, Hannagan is above the rim, and Strayhorse is below the rim. Depending on snow levels, you may need to descend a good distance below the rim to get out of it. And yes, there is a lot of rugged country, many opportunities to get away from it all.

And the OTC archery deer tags are good for certain units during certain seasons, one should definitely check the regs to see if your unit of choice is open for OTC ("NONPERMIT-TAG") during your season of choice. 27 is open in Jan.

Last edited:
Got stranded one year on the wrong side of a shallow water stream crossing when rain and snow hit. Water was over 3’ deep on the stream gage and boulders were being carried downstream. Something to keeep in mind if it turns wet. There was a bunch of snow up by Hannigan Meadows that melted very rapidly. I did arrow a small 4x4 mulie the year before and the stream crossings were virtually dry. I deer hunted it way back in ‘91 and ‘92 if memory serves me. Good luck!

DFB

FNG
I hunt this unit for a week every year in early season and have hunted it a few times late season. It’s rough and remote. There will be a lot of snow in January especially around the Blue Wilderness area. A lot of roads will be closed so call the FS office ahead of time for road closure updates. StrayHorse has a good concentration of deer and may be a good place to start. Stop in the gas station in Alpine and ask the women working the counter where the deer are. They will shoot you straight. I will offer one caution. The dry drains you cross can turn into some frog choking rivers in a matter of seconds that time of year if you have a couple warm sunny days in a row so watch the weather closely. There are deer all over the northern 2/3 of the unit but they’re pretty slick.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Appreciate the info guys...as of now my schedule looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFB

FNG
It’s a little more desert like that far south. More like good javelina country. There are deer there but not in the number there are further north.

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Spotting scope a must? I have access to a mediocre Nikon, I have good Binos but the spotter is not great. What say you?

Hank Hill

FNG
I'll be out there in January as well. As others have said here I've heard to keep a close eye on the weather as it can change at any moment. Road closures are very likely, and you should be prepared in cased you get trapped by snow or aforementioned snow melt.

DFB

FNG
A spotter will make things easier but I wouldn’t say it’s a 100% necessity. I run a good pair of 10-42s on a stable tripod and do pretty well. There are some places you can see way out there though. Since you’re jeep camping I’d throw it in the rig.