How to research outfitters

Odell

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I’d ask my question a different way since the silence on my last thread tells me a lot!

How would you recommend finding and researching outfitters who offer drop camps for mule deer? Besides word of mouth or a google search are there any other ways to discover people who offer this service?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KNPV PSD

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I’d ask my question a different way since the silence on my last thread tells me a lot!

How would you recommend finding and researching outfitters who offer drop camps for mule deer? Besides word of mouth or a google search are there any other ways to discover people who offer this service?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure where you live but any of the outdoors shows will allow you to meet face to face with multiple outfitters.

wytx

WKR
Call their references. I had an outfitter gives me the name of a well know hunter one year as a reference. When I called him he told me to not use the outfitter to go DIY. Made my decision right then. Call the references of successful and unsuccessful hunters. They should give you both.
Maybe email the outfitters association and ask about complaints too.

I've seen the above non-sponsor poster self promote on other forums. My guess is that like elsewhere, he won't be around long.

Nevermind, his post has been removed, and he has been banned.

Last edited:
Posting on forums such as this is a great start... There's also a few services out there like hunting fool and Epic outdoors that can hook you up for a fee I believe though I've no experience with either.

If I were to go guided somewhere though, price point would be of second concern, first would be references and lots of them! Good luck.

Mike

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Posting on forums such as this is a great start... There's also a few services out there like hunting fool and Epic outdoors that can hook you up for a fee I believe though I've no experience with either.

If I were to go guided somewhere though, price point would be of second concern, first would be references and lots of them! Good luck.

Mike

In the case of those two, they don't pass the fee along to the hunter; the outfitter pays a nominal commission to the referrer. However, the good ones, like HF and Epic, and pretty careful about who they'll refer hunters to and they usually follow up with hunters to see if the story matched the hunt they actually experienced.

I read some where there is a "Legend" on this site who can offer some services, even wrote a book. Pretty sure even Ryan and his bride Tanya, hunted with this guy this year. Also pretty sure there was some blood on the ground. Also pretty sure he is involved in some of the States listed by OP.
He is pretty shy though, doesn't like being called a legend and I may bet banned for doing so, but thought it was worth putting that out there regardless.

edit* if Id was on my to do list for mule deer specific, I'd be calling him..... Just saying

DRUSS

WKR
I did this a couple years ago. Pretty tough finding info for some and others have a bunch. I was fortunate to be able to talk to a couple at a sports show. And was able to get some recommendations from other outfitters who didn't offer drop off services, but new a guy or friend who did. I went on a drop trip in Wyoming last year .fun trip would like to go again. I went with Ryan Merritt.