Colorado public muleys. Help

Hunterbat

FNG
Alright I’m looking for help on decent units to archery hunt muleys in Colorado I’m open to other states to trying but mainly looking at Colorado at the moment. I’m fairly new to western hunting but have always wanted to shoot a archery mule deer. So I’m wondering what your guys opinions on areas to go for some good mule deer hunting.

Help us out with what your goals are and what type of hunt you want to experience.
It ranges from OTC(zero point draw) to landowner to auction to governor tags.

Hunterbat,

Welcome to the board and it's always nice to see folks interested in taking the plunge in hunting new species in new areas. That said, my guess is that you're not going to get much back in the way of specific information posing a general question like you have. Let me recommend a few things. There is a ton of info out there on different areas to hunt in Colorado. I recommend starting at the Colorado Parks and Wildlife webpage to look at the statistics on draw data and harvest data as well as the game management maps and start to get an idea of where you'd like to hunt. Looking at outfitter websites, reading forums, etc can all give you a sense of what general areas people are hunting. For example, if you want a high country deer hunting experience, all of the High Country Rifle Season statistics are presented (which will help you identify which units would be considered high country and then you can look at the draw and harvest statistics for the archery hunts in those units).

Once you have a unit or two picked out, you can start to ask more specific information on those units. Don't expect people to give away the basins they hunt and where they camp, etc. People are very protective of the areas they've put a lot of research and sweat equity into, and rightfully so. There are also great resources out there behind paywalls, like goHunt, that have a tremendous amount of this information in one space.

Good luck on your planning! I took a high country mule deer doe in Colorado with my bow back in 2012, all DIY and all self-researched and to this day it was one of my most rewarding hunts I've ever been on!

If you haven't been to the Colorado DOW website here is the link to their hunt planner. Start there and check units for the amount of points required etc.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Plan Your Hunt

And here is the link to all the GMU maps etc and you can check out what public land is available in each area.

Colorado Parks & Wildlife -
Maps

Lastly- hammer down on that search bar bc there are lots of guys who have 'been there done that' and have posted stories and lessons learned on here.

Good luck!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plan your hunt, unit statics, draw odds recap should get you there I think

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

mrgreen

WKR
Thanks guys. I have a crappy connection here today, took forever to load that page.