Spot & stalk in the snow

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I have a late season archery tag (going on right now) and I’m struggling to get within 80 yards now that there’s snow on the ground. I highly doubt the snow will be gone before the season is over so I’m looking for help/critique on my technique. I’m hunting solo in NV and it’s pretty open country, lots of sage brush everywhere with some rock piles scattered about. Think chukar hunting with a small basin on top of the mountain and that’s where the deer are.

I can get within 80-100 yards pretty easy but the snow is slushy & crunchy and makes a lot of noise when moving around. My technique right now is to get as close as possible and hope that they feed towards me. Every time I try to move in on them they hear me and stare me down til they decide to leave. I’m honestly praying for high winds to cover up the sound!

Is there a better technique or something I should be doing differently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slim Jim

WKR
Maybe try a decoy. Ultimate predator makes one that I use that attaches to your bow.

I was gonna say decoy as well wish I would have thought to get one for my muzzy hunt.
Snow camo as well.
At least a moving decoy would be a reason for the noise in the deers head.
Heads up decoy get alot of good reviews.

OP
S

sdfuller

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never seen bow mounted decoys before. Those are pretty slick!

jimmy33

WKR
Late season bow hunting can be very difficult. Nice to see all the different game but real tough to get close.

neverquit

WKR
I would say stick with it at some point they will feed your way . Or try a decoy. The bow mounted Poison arrow seems like it could work

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Jan 1-15 Archery deer tag in my pocket for SE New Mexico so I went ahead and just ordered a Heads Up Buck decoy straight from Heads Up. It was a little more expensive than the dealers but I couldn't find them in stock anywhere. Been meaning to go with this or even a cow decoy for a while. Thanks for the reminder.