Nm 17

cbrown2x

FNG
Have my 1st muly hunt this Jan, drew a tag for NM17. Lots and lots of different terrain in this unit. Spent a lot of time researching on Onx but just had a question for you veterans. I know the deer "are where you find them" I'm trying to gather a general consensus on a starting elevation during this late rut hunt. I get that it's mostly weather dependent but if anyone has hunted a Jan time period any info on that would be great, thanks folks

The area isn't as weather dependant as northern states. The bucks are gonna be where the does are, and you shouldn't have trouble finding does from about 5000-7000ft. Once you get higher than that, it gets real thick in the San Mateos. It's a great unit with some big bucks. I would look for areas with a lot of oak brush/mountain mahogany and start from there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ccarter

FNG
Hi Cbrown2x- Hunted it once during thanksgiving, but never January. That unit doesn't really have true high country, and I'm not sure elevation makes much difference to the deer. There is definitely steep, rugged country in there though. Those deer have a bit of a desert mentality. You might find them up high on slopes, or down in the stuff that looks like antelope country. they like to lay at the tops of what locals call headers- where a draw meets the top of another ridge. they'll lay down against a pinyon or even a yucca, and watch everything below them.

As you go up the San Mateos, there's lots of low oaks, and the tops has more pines. The year we were there, the does were hanging in the pinyon juniper and low country more than the highest stuff. I imagine that's where the bucks will be in January.

One thing to note- I ended up with two flat tires in that country. the rocks are really sharp. cost me 600.00 to tow my truck and trailer into Truth or Consequences and get a new tire. That's hunting I guess. Good news is, there are deer in there. They can hide in what looks like it wouldn't hide a Jackrabbit. Just get to a good vantage point and use your glass. Walking around in there wears you out, and you end up bumping all the deer ahead of you anyway. That was my experience on the southern end of the unit. Good luck.

OP
C

cbrown2x

FNG
View attachment 64278 Hopefully this works, I'm pretty technology illiterate. Hunt was great! Has some very close calls with an absolute monster of a 3 point but just couldn't find a shot. Either way I'm super happy and now totally addicted!!

OP
C

cbrown2x

FNG
Super tough hiking but worth every step, found most bucks chasing does. Found a lot of deer around 6800-7500 feet. I feel like the rut was just really starting where I was at. I had a plan to hunt the Mags and that's what I did. Spent 4 days scouting and was able to locate and stay on top of these bucks on days 2,3 and 4.

The photo isnt working but I assume you got one. Congrats man! That NM terrain is tougher than it looks. It's not easy to knock down one of those desert Muleys

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

efnm

WKR
Damn you are so happy in the video. I live in Socorro and am happy you had success.

Tgrossi

FNG
Have my 1st muly hunt this Jan, drew a tag for NM17. Lots and lots of different terrain in this unit. Spent a lot of time researching on Onx but just had a question for you veterans. I know the deer "are where you find them" I'm trying to gather a general consensus on a starting elevation during this late rut hunt. I get that it's mostly weather dependent but if anyone has hunted a Jan time period any info on that would be great, thanks folks
Hey chris, im new here but just drew my first NM january tag. I cant wait. I had a few weather questions and camp questions for ya if you have time.