How does Utah work for mule deer

TauPhi111

WKR
Can someone please clarify the ways to get a mule deer tag in Utah? My only western hunting experience has been one Colorado elk hunt, and I understand their system, but after looking through the Utah big game guide, I am not yet clear on the different ways to get a tag there. I see they have general season and general archery units, and they have limited entry units. Are the general season units OTC, or are all mule deer tags in the lottery system? Please clarify this for me. My brother lives in SLC, and I'd really like to plan and go on a hunt with him.

Thanks!!

2five7

WKR
All Deer tags in Utah are through the draw system, no over the counter at all. You woul djust need to figure out where you want to hunt, then apply for that unit in the general drawing. Most units are going to require at least one preference point to be guaranteed to draw. but you still have a chance with zero.

The general season deer hunts in UT are good in my hunting experience and research. Much different than UT general elk.

The Limited Entry deer hunts have the same system as the elk hunts I believe.

twall13

WKR
To elaborate, there is a limited entry draw (Bonus Point System) as well as a general season draw (Preference Point System) with Utah deer hunts. Limited entry hunts are harder to draw, general season units are easier to draw. It depends on the unit and weapon you are trying for but with the areas I typically rifle hunt deer (as a resident) I can usually get a buck tag about every other year. Some areas are easier to draw, some are more difficult. If you are hunting archery you can get a tag every year, though it's not a true OTC since you still have to put in for it. I think muzzle loader tags are easier to get as well. All that said, I don't really know what the tag allotments are for non residents so that may change your odds as well.

OP
TauPhi111

TauPhi111

WKR
To elaborate, there is a limited entry draw (Bonus Point System) as well as a general season draw (Preference Point System) with Utah deer hunts. Limited entry hunts are harder to draw, general season units are easier to draw. It depends on the unit and weapon you are trying for but with the areas I typically rifle hunt deer (as a resident) I can usually get a buck tag about every other year. Some areas are easier to draw, some are more difficult. If you are hunting archery you can get a tag every year, though it's not a true OTC since you still have to put in for it. I think muzzle loader tags are easier to get as well. All that said, I don't really know what the tag allotments are for non residents so that may change your odds as well.

Ahhh...yes this was the aspect I was finding confusing. Seems as though mule deer isn't too bad though. Thanks!

No. Only way to get a point is when you don't draw a tag.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Actually you can put in for PP or Bonus point only. I did it the past draw period and plan to do it again this year. Buy the required nonresident hunting license and add a species for $10 I think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UtahJimmy

WKR
Actually you can put in for PP or Bonus point only. I did it the past draw period and plan to do it again this year. Buy the required nonresident hunting license and add a species for $10 I think it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Correct, what I meant is that you can only get a point during the draw. Not later like WY allows.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

bobhunts

WKR
No you cannot buy a point now! But you can buy a point for every species and all hunts next year! Then keep doing it till you have enough for a limited entry hunt. after a year or two you can use the general tag points and go hunt that one while keeping your special points for another hunt. Weird system but it is cheap to apply as a non resident and some darn good hunting!